You are here

Undergraduate Program FAQ's

1. At what point (freshman year, sophomore year, etc.) should a student contact the department about majoring in this area?

Many student declare the major either before or during their freshman year.  However, because the major follows a cohort model typically you need to start taking classes in the major beginning in the fall.  So, if you choose to change to this major after your sophomore year you may have to extend your undergraduate degree completion.

2. Could you suggest any General Education courses that would be particularly useful for a student to take before entering the program?

Courses in psychology, linguistics, biology [anatomy], and speech communication.

3. Could you suggest a good introductory course a student could take to get acquainted with the field?

CD 119: Survey of Communication Disabilities, which is offered in both the fall and Spring semesters, provides a comprehensive overview of the field.

4. What are some required courses a student will take to complete the program?

Please refer to the Undergraduate Catalog for the most current program information.

You can search under Programs or view the Degree map

5. What new information or skills will a person have after completing the program?

  •  Knowledge of structure and function of speech and hearing disorders. 
  •  Knowledge of the states of speech and language development and the rules of language usages. 
  •  Knowledge of speech, language, and hearing disorders. 
  •  Clinical skills in evaluating and remediating speech, language, and hearing disorders. 
  •  Skills in behavior modification. 
  •  Skills in phonetic transcription. 
  •  Skills in report writing. 
  •  Skills in working with people. 
  •  Familiarization with equipment used in speech, language, hearing clinics, and research 

7. What kids of jobs do students who obtain this degree apply for?

With an undergraduate degree there are a number of employment options in public schools, medical facilities, etc.  In order to become a certified, licensed speech-language pathologist a graduate degree is required.  Therefore, many students choose to attend graduate school following completion of their bachelor's degree in this major.

8. Where can I find more information about the field?

The American Speech-Language-Hearing Association website has a section for students where you can learn more about the profession.