Dr. Susan Eley
- Ph.D. - Education Leadership (Specialization in Higher Education), Indiana State University - 2002
- M.S. - Public Health Nursing/Family Nurse Practitioner Certification, University of Illinois-Chicago - 1993
- B.S. - Nursing, Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville - 1990
- Other - Nursing, Illinois Eastern Community College - 1981
- Other - Practical Nursing, Indiana Vocational Technical College - 1979
- Has taught in the advanced practice curriculum core, FNP concentration, and DNP program, served on hundreds of student Evidence Based Practice projects, and Chaired over 30 DNP Scholarly Projects 2015-present. Former FNP Program Director, Former Education Program Director, Chair of the DNP program development taskforce and was the inaugural program Director of the DNP program until assuming the APN Department Chair's position in 2012. Chairperson for the Department of Advanced Practice Nursing 2012-2015. Assumed faculty role July 1, 2015. Dr. Eley splits her time teaching 6 credits (4 clinical credit, 2 didactic in the DNP program, 6 credits (3 credits in core curriculum, and 3 credits in master's scholarly course supervising final scholarly EBP projects). Dr. Eley is also assigned and required to teach additional independent study course load from 1-3 credit hours for masters and DNP students that does not equate to workload credit due to lower enrollment numbers.
- Dr. Eley’s research interests include emerging technology, pharmacology and patient response, health coaching and mentoring, integrative and holistic medicine, health promotion and disease prevention, and educational methodologies.
Dr. Eley graduated with a BSN from the Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville. She completed an MS with a major in Public Health Nursing with a Family Nurse Practitioner focus from University of Illinois-Chicago, and her PhD is from Indiana State University in Education, Leadership, and Foundations. She started at Indiana State University in 2005. Dr. Eley has served as the DNP Program Director, the FNP Program Director and since 2012 the Chairperson for the Department of Advanced Practice Nursing.
Susan is board certified by ANCC as a family nurse practitioner and maintains clinical practice in urgent and emergency care with the Veterans Administration and provides primary care in a private practice clinic in Effingham, IL. Dr. Eley’s research interests include emerging technology, pharmacology and patient response, men’s health promotion and disease prevention, and educational methodologies. She is a member of the National League for Nursing, Illinois Society for Advanced Practice Nurses and Coalition for Advanced Practice Nurses, National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculty, Sigma Theta Tau and serves as President of Board for the Effingham County Agency on Aging.