You are here
Athletic Aid Information
Below you will find information about Athletic Aid.
Reduction or Cancellation of Athletic Aid During Period of Award
Reduction or Cancellation Permitted
- Institutional financial aid based in any degree on athletics ability may be reduced or canceled during the period of the award if the recipient: (a) Renders himself or herself ineligible for intercollegiate competition; (b) Fraudulently misrepresents any information on an application, letter of intent or financial aid agreement; (c) Engages in serious misconduct warranting substantial disciplinary penalty; or (d) Voluntarily (on his or her own initiative) withdraws from a sport at any time for personal reasons; however, the recipient's financial aid may not be awarded to another student-athlete in the academic term in which the aid was reduced or canceled. A student-athlete's request for written permission to contact another four-year collegiate institution regarding a possible transfer does not constitute a voluntary withdrawal.
- Fraudulent Misrepresentation
- If a student-athlete is awarded institutional financial aid on the basis of declaring intention to participate in a particular sport by signing a letter of intent, application or tender, action on the part of the grantee not to participate (either by not reporting for practice or after making only token appearances as determined by the institution) would constitute fraudulent misrepresentation of information on the grantee's application, letter of intent or financial aid agreement and would permit the institution to cancel or reduce the financial aid.
- An institution may cancel or reduce the financial aid of a student-athlete who is found to have engaged in misconduct by the university's regular student disciplinary authority, even if the loss-of-aid requirement does not apply to the student body in general.
- Reduction or Cancellation Not Permitted
- Institutional financial aid based in any degree on athletics ability may not be reduced or canceled during the period of its award: (a) On the basis of a student-athlete's athletics ability, performance or contribution to a team's success;(b) Because of an injury that prevents the recipient from participating in athletics; or (c) For any other athletics reason.
- Athletically Related Condition Prohibition
- An institution may not set forth an athletically related condition (e.g., financial aid contingent upon specified performance or playing a specific position) that would permit the institution to reduce or cancel the student-athlete's financial aid during the period of the award if the conditions are not satisfied.
Renewals and Non-Renewals
- The renewal of institutional financial aid based in any degree on athletics ability shall be made on or before July 1 prior to the academic year in which it is to be effective. The institution shall promptly notify in writing each student-athlete who received an award the previous academic year and who has eligibility remaining in the sport in which financial aid was awarded the previous academic year whether the grant has been renewed or not renewed for the ensuing academic year. Notification of financial aid renewals and non-renewals must come from the institution's regular financial aid authority and not from the institution's athletic department.
- Reconsideration of Non-renewal
- It is permissible for an institution that has notified a student-athlete that he or she will not be provided institutional financial aid for the next academic year subsequently to award financial aid to that student-athlete.