You are here

Education Abroad

Interested in study abroad? Most programs qualify for financial aid eligibility while students are studying abroad. First, contact the Education Abroad Office to discuss eligible programs, then contact your financial aid office to determine your financial aid eligibility. All students studying abroad will need to complete a Study Abroad Academic Planning Form. This form must include:

  • Study Abroad term
  • Number of courses you plan to take and the total number of semester hours you will be enrolled in
  • Course numbers and titles of all enrolled classes
  • Signatures of: student, academic advisor, and Indiana State Education Abroad representative

In addition to the above form, students need to make sure they have a current FAFSA on file. A student’s enrollment in a program of study abroad approved for credit by Indiana State University may be considered enrollment at ISU for the purpose of applying for assistance under the Federal Student Aid programs.  Students who will be using loan funds to cover their expenses will need to follow these instructions for web accepting Federal Direct Loans, and/or consider borrowing a Federal Direct Parent Plus Loan.

PLEASE NOTE: Financial aid does not disburse to student accounts until 10 days prior to the study abroad class start date. During the summer, it is only 3 days before the term. Students will need to be prepared to make certain program payments in advance of receiving their financial aid. Contact the Education Abroad Office at (812) 237-3427 for more information.

There are two types of study abroad programs:

Partner - Indiana State University has a direct relationship with partner universities, and these programs are typically less costly to the student, and the University is billed directly for costs.

Affiliate - These are run by a third party and offer many locations, but at a higher cost. Students pay these programs directly, often using their financial aid refund.

Faculty-led field trips are not eligible for Financial Aid. For more information about Education Abroad, contact the Education Abroad Office located in Gillum Hall.

Students interested in study abroad must meet with a study abroad advisor to apply. Once approved by the University, students can then complete the partner or affiliate application. Final transcripts reflecting courses completed must be submitted to the University before the student will be considered for financial aid for subsequent terms. If a transcript is not available, a grade report will suffice. 


To apply for financial assistance, students must contact the Education Abroad Office at (812) 237-3427.



220 North Seventh Street
150 Tirey Hall
Indiana State University
Contact Us


Office Hours

Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. - noon and 1:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Phone Hours

Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. - noon and 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.