You are here
Receiving Financial Aid for Fall 2018
Welcome to Fall 2018:
Remember to check your My ISU Portal for red X's. Resolve them to complete your Financial Aid File.
Our office is experiencing high call volume at this time. You may visit Ask Us to send us an email.
Federal Aid pays no earlier than a week prior to classes. By August 14, all aid will have paid to students with complete files. Details about refunds are available here.
Bills are due on the first day of classes (August 21, 2018).
In the meantime, answers to common questions are found below for students and parents.
Information for Students
What is my account status?
Visit http://isuportal.indstate.edu and log in using your Sycamore username and password. Select the Student Self Service badge. From there, click "View My Financial Aid" to see a summary of your account activity (including charges and payments), your current financial aid status, award status by aid year, and missing items.
If you are missing something, click "Description" on the missing item to find out more about what is needed to complete your aid package.
Where is my 21st Century Scholars Award?
Where can I get more money than what I have been awarded?
The outside scholarships and the private alternative loan programs are generally two options that may be available to students when there is unmet need. For information on these program requirements, visit additional funding options.
I sent in a document. How can I tell whether it was received?
Visit http://isuportal.indstate.edu and log in using your University username and password. From the Student Self Service Badge, click "View my Financial Aid." Then click "Requirements."
If a document has not yet been received, the status will say "needed."
If a document has been recieved, it will say "received" or "processed." In some cases, the status may say "incomplete." That means you need to resubmit.
In general, loans take 5-7 business days for processing. Appeals or eligibility documents typically require 10-14 business days after receipt.
Where is my refund? Or, how do I use financial aid to pay for books or off-campus housing?
- When will I get it? Refunds, otherwise known as an account credit available after University charges are paid, will be generated 1-2 business days after aid disburses to the student account. For Fall 2018, disbursement occurs August 15, 2018 at 5:00 p.m.
- Am I eligible? Visit http://isuportal.indstate.edu and log in using your Sycamore username and password. From the Student Self Service badge, select "View My Financial Aid," and then click "Account Summary." Scroll down to see whether your aid has generated a credit balance or if you still owe the University. If there is a credit balance, your refund will be issued in 1-2 business days.
- What can I use it for? Refunds are issued by a paper check, or via direct deposit, to the student or parent borrower. Refunds should be used for educational expenses. However, we aren't going to monitor your spending, so budget wisely. Visit Direct Deposit of Refunds for instructions on enrolling in direct deposit.
More information about refunds is online at indstate.edu/financial-aid/refunds
Why haven't my loans paid?
We always wait to process federal student loans until after we receive scholarship and grant information from the state of Indiana. This prevents having to administer multiple credit checks for students and parents. We will begin processing loans on August 3, 2018. Parent Loans are processed in the order received.
To ensure your eligibility, verify that you have completed the following steps:
Log onto the MyISU Portal using your Sycamore username and password, and verify that you have been offered student loans by viewing "Awards" in the Financial Aid section. If you are eligible, you should see an award offer listed. Then, complete the following steps:
- Enroll in at least 6 credit hours for undergraduates, 5 for graduates.
- Accept the loans (Instructions are here).
: Parents, Federal Direct Parent PLUS loan applications are available here: StudentLoans.gov
- Sign a Master Promissory Note and complete Entrance Counseling online at StudentLoans.gov
- Allow 5-7 business days for processing.
How do I claim my Work Study Award?
Federal Work Study Program is a subsidized employment program. The only way for students accepting their Federal Work Study award to receive the award amount is to get a job, work their assigned hours per week and earn the funding. For more information - click here.
Information for Parents
I am a parent and cannot see my student's information. How can I find the answer to my question?
Your student can grant you Proxy Access, a mini-portal for self service; also students can assign authorized users to be able to see the bill and make electrionic payments.
When will I get the result of my credit check for the PLUS loan?
Credit Checks are completed at the time of submitting an application on www.studentloans.gov
All PLUS applications received as of July 1, 2018 are anticipated to be processed by August 15. Monitor the MyISU Portal for the loan to flip to "Accepted" status. If it is denied, the loan will flip to "Denied."
Why can't you give me information about my son/daughter's account?
ISU student records that are protected by the Federal Educational Right to Privacy Act (FERPA), and include personal information, enrollment records, grades, and class schedules. The University must have written permission from the student before releasing information from the student's record.
To access this form, visit privacy rights and policy.