You are here

Eligible Non-Citizens

To be eligible for most federal aid programs, students must be U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens as defined below.

A U.S. national (includes natives of American Samoa or Swains Island), U.S. permanent resident (who has an I-151, I-551 or I-551C), or an individual who has an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) showing one of the following designations:

  • "Refugee"
  • "Asylum Granted"
  • "Cuban-Haitian Entrant (Status Pending)"
  • "Conditional Entrant" (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980).
  • Victims of human trafficking, T-visa holder
  • "Parolee" (you must be paroled into the United States for at least 1 year and you must be able to provide evidence from the USCIS that you are in the United States for other than a temporary purpose and that you intend to become a U.S. citizen or permanent resident).

For more information on Non U.S. Citizen Financial Aid Qualifications - Click here.

Not an Eligible Non-Citizen

There are still some types of financial aid available to study in the U.S. There may be some scholarships and other aid you can get.