You are here
Monthly Health Topics
Summer Health Tips: Beat the Heat!
- Use sunscreen with sun protective factor (SPF) 15 or higher, and both UVA and UVB protection.
- Sunscreen wears off. Put it on again if you stay out in the sun for more than two hours and after you swim or do things that make you sweat.
- Check the sunscreen's expiration date. Sunscreen without an expiration date has a shelf life of no more than three years, but its shelf life is shorter if it has been exposed to high temperatures.
Tips to Staying Hydrated:
- Carry a reusable water bottle.
- Eat fruit or popsicles. You don’t have to just drink your water — you get fluids from what you eat as well. Fruits, like watermelon and cantaloupe, have high water content, as well as frozen treats like 100% fruit juice pops.
- Sip throughout the day. Little things add up and fluid intake is no exception.
- Plan ahead. If you are headed for a workout outside or an outing at the pool, make sure to pack plenty of fluids for the trip. When in the heat, you lose fluids more quickly.