Whenever F-1 students wish to leave the United States temporarily and return to continue studies at the institution in which they are enrolled, they must secure the necessary documents to permit re-entry to the United States.
In order to reenter the United States after a temporary absence of 5 months or less, an F-1 student should have the following documents:
- A valid passport or travel document, unless exempt from the passport requirement.
- A valid F-1 visa (except Canadian students)
- A Form I-20 properly endorsed for travel by the DSO
Customs Border Protection also recommends that students have with them:
- Evidence of financial resources
- Evidence of student status (recent tuition receipts, transcripts)
- Name and contact information for the school's Designated School Official (DSO)
Click below to download the form.