Social Security Number

If you will be employed in the US, you must obtain a US social security number (SSN) to be paid. Students who are not working or receiving income in the US are not eligible for a Social Security number, and should NEVER use their ISU identification number (991 number) in place of the SSN outside of the ISU campus.

To obtain your Social security number, you will need to do the following:

  • Bring your referral form or assistantship contract to IPS. We will give you two letters that you must take to the Social Security Office.
  • Go to the Social Security Administration Office - open Monday - Friday between 9 am and 4 pm (222 Cherry Street behind the Great Wall of China Restaurant), and give them the letters from International Program and Services. Fill in form application-pdf.png SS-5 You will be asked to show your I-20, passport and I-94 card.
  • Before leaving the Social Security Office, ask them to give you a receipt with your name printed on it.

Be sure to keep your original Social Security card in a safe place. Do not carry it with you in your wallet or purse. Be careful who you give this number to avoid falling victim to identity theft. This number and the resulting record are yours for your lifetime.