You are here
About Distance Tutoring
The ISU Writing Center currently offers Distance Tutoring in writing for those registered as distance learners through ISU. These students may submit their papers through our Distance Tutoring link and then meet with a tutor in real time through Collaborate. Please keep in mind that we do not simply copy-edit papers either in person or during distance tutoring. We prefer to work with distance students throughout their time at ISU so that students develop their skills over time. Distance students can also receive help with math. Call the center at (812) 237-2989, and we will arrange to meet you virtually through our Blackboard site.
Schedule an Online Tutoring Session
Yuja (Primary system)
1. Call the ISU Writing Center to schedule an appointment with a math or writing consultant at (812) 237-2989.
2. 5-10 minutes before your scheduled appointment, open your ISU email and watch for a link inviting you to join the Yuja session.
3. Click on the link and double check that your audio is working.
4. If you have problems joining the session, call the front desk at the number above. If you have problems with your technology, call the help desk at (812) 237-2910.
Blackboard Collaborate (Back-up System)
1. Call the ISU Writing Center to schedule an appointment with a math or writing consultant at (812) 237-2989. Enroll in the ISUWC - Online Tutoring course found on Blackboard. To enroll, enter ISUWC - Online Tutoring in the "Course Search" bar found on the main page of Blackboard. Click on NOC-ISUWC-OT for a drop-down - select "enroll."
2. Make sure you have access to Collaborate and that your audio is working correctly. If you are not familiar with Collaborate, please see the "How to Use Collaborate" pdf on this page. If you are still having trouble, you may contact the IT Help Desk at (812) 237-2910.
Check into the ISU Writing Center Main Room approximately 5-10 minutes before your session begins and join the room of your assigned tutor (call the front desk if you need to know the name of your assigned tutor).
The link below will demonstrate how to self-enroll, download and launch Blackboard Collaborate, and enable the app share, audio, and video tools you will need to meet with your tutor.
Distance Tutoring Tips
1. Collaborate sessions must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance of the assignment due date. If the assignment is longer than three pages, it must be reviewed at least 48 hours in advance of the due date.
2. Download the Collaborate launcher and make sure you are able to open Collaborate and use the audio features.
3. Try to be in the Collaborate room about five minutes before the session. Sessions begin at the top of the hour.
4. Have your assignment and prompt at hand before beginning a session.
5. Please call ahead if you need to cancel an appointment.
2nd floor southwest corner
Phone: (812) 237-2989
Fall Hours starting August 21st
Mon-Thurs: 10am - 8pm
Fri: 10am - 5pm
Sun: 4pm - 10pm
Extended hours available for students in different time zones based on tutor availability.
Special ISUWC Dates
The ISUWC will be CLOSED on the following dates:
September 3, 2018 - Labor Day
October 5, 2018 - Fall Break
November 19 - 25, 2018 - Thanksgiving Break
December 3 - 7, 2018 - Finals
The ISUWC will have extended hours during Study Week
November 26 - 30, 2018 - call for details!