Orientation for Families of First-Year Students
In order to register for Family Orientation, please make sure that your student includes your information when they register for State Start-Up. If you do not receive a confirmation email right away, check you spam folder. You will receive additional details via email preparing you for your attendance at Family Orientation. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us with any questions you have.
Indiana State University and New Student Transition Programs recognizes the unique nature of our current environment and the uncertainty that remains with COVID-19. To help protect the health and well-being of our future Sycamores, Indiana State has transformed State Start-Up and Family Orientation programs to an interactive virtual format. Our new virtual experience still includes all of the previously planned sessions.
Prior to your Family Orientation date:
Watch these videos:
- Welcome and Resource for Sycamore Families
- Welcome Families from Dean Linda Maule
- Academic Expectations
- Dollars and $ense
- Residential Life (if your student will live on-campus) or Commuter Life (if your student will live at home and commute to campus)
- Career Center
- Campus Safety
- Partnering for your Student's Success
- Join your student for their required Financial Aid appointment
- The Office of Financial Aid will contact your student at their Sycamore email address to set up an appointment in the weeks right before their State Start-Up date. You're encouraged to join them to speak with a financial aid counselor.
On the day of your Family Orientation:
Join Us Live for Family Orientation - 11:00am-12:00pm(EST)
- Using the information emailed to you, join us live to get your questions answered from our Campus Experts Panel.
- Join Us Again for the Virtual Resource Fair - 3:30-4:30pm(EST)
- You and your student will have the opportunity to speak with a number of our campus resources and offices. Using the information from your email, explore the campus resources and pop in to ask your questions. The following offices will be represented at the Virtual Resource Fair: African American Cultural Center, Center for Community Engagement, Dining Services, Residential Life, Student Recreation, and many more.
Outside of Family Orientation:
- You can also join our Family Programs office for virtual office hours throughout May and June.
- Mondays and Fridays from 10am-11am(EST) and 2pm-3pm(EST)
- Wednesdays from 5pm-7pm(EST)
- See if your questions have been answered by one or our campus partners as part of our Family Fridays series.
- Learn more about payment plans and viewing your student's bill through the Sycamore Plan with the Bursar's Office.
- For more information on this, please contact Debbie Barber at Debra.Barber@indstate.edu.
We've created a one-page First-Year Family Orientation guide for keeping track of the above information.
Curious about the virtual State Start-Up experience for students? Check out the What to Know for Virtual State Start-Up page.