You are here
One way to deter cheating with online testing is through the use of a live or recorded proctoring service. At Indiana State you have two options. For a full breakdown of these two programs, check out the Proctoring Options for Online Classes.
Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor prevents students from accessing any screen other than the test and allows them to record themselves as they are taking online tests so that instructors can later view the recording. Respondus is supported by Indiana State and does not incur additional costs for the institution or students. Utilizing this solution requires faculty to enable LockDown Browser and Monitor via Respondus on a Blackboard Test. Students would then access Blackboard via the LockDown Browser and record their webcam as they are taking the exam. Instructors can also require learners to show their identification and make a short video of their testing environment. Suspicious behaviors are flagged and ranked based on analytics. Resources are available at Respondus to help instructor get started using this proctoring solution.
Examity is a synchronous proctoring solution that allows students to take online tests in the presence of a live proctor. Faculty are able to set the parameters for the exam, including if any resources are able to be used during the test taking process. Instructors are then informed if any anomalies occur throughout the testing procedures and able to watch the recorded webcam and computer screen. As Examity does incur a cost to the institution, it is recommended for major exams only.
If you choose to use Examity, we have several instructor resources available to assist with its implementation:
- Introduction to Examity (this video walks faculty through the overall proctoring process)
- Integrating Examity with Blackboard – Instructor Quick Guide
- Integrating Examity with Blackboard – Student Quick Guide
- Examity Instructor Toolkit (modifiable text you can use as course announcements)
- Examity Syllabus Language (modifiable text you can use to introduce Examity within your syllabus)
- Examity Student Announcement (modifiable text you can use to introduce Examity)
- Examity Student One Pager (useful tutorial quick tips for students)
For faculty support with Examity, please contact Lisa Martini, Key Account Manager with Examity, at 744-231-0872 or firstname.lastname@example.org.