You are here
During State Start-Up, students will gain useful insights about their academic major, meet with an advisor to confirm their class schedule for first semester courses, and learn about campus resources. This is also a great opportunity to meet other students and staff. All first-year students are required to attend State Start-Up. A separate family orientation program is also available but is not required.
To register for a State Start-Up date
1. Activate your Sycamore Login via the MyISU Student Portal
- Your University ID Number can be found on your Letter of Admission.
- Now that your portal is activated, explore all the technology you can use by checking out the Sycamores Connected sessions.
- Forgot your password? Use the Reset Password option on the MyISU Portal login page.
2. Confirm your enrollment and Register for State Start-Up
- Usernames are typically the first letter of your first name, with your last name, and possibly a digit. For example, Sycamore Sam's login may be ssam17. Sam's full email address would be email@example.com.
- Be sure to click "Submit" at the end to make sure your spot is saved. Confirmation and reminder emails will be sent to your University email account and to registered family member emails. If you don't see a confirmation email right away, check your spam folder for emails from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All students will be charged a non-refundable New Student fee on their student bill.
Prior to your State Start-Up date, you MUST complete the following items
Step 1: Take Math Placement by May 1st.
Please note: This is required for all new students and will not be offered during the program. Students who have not taken their Math Placement prior will be placed in the lowest math course.
Step 2: Confirm your Housing Intention.
- Go to the 'Your Spot' badge in your MyISU portal to finish your process.
- Pick your housing community and select your roommate.
- Complete a Housing Exemption (if you plan to live at home).
- Contact the Residential Life Office for questions.
Step 3: Watch the following videos in Blackboard at least three days prior to your State Start-Up date.
You'll recieve access to these videos 2 weeks before your State Start-Up date.
- Academic Expectations
- Living on Campus -or- Commuter Life
- Dining and Meal Plans at Indiana State
- State Engage & Starting the Semester Strong
- Financial Aid (must watch prior to your State Start-Up Financial Aid appointment)
Step 4: Complete the FAFSA and Attend your Financial Aid Appointment.
- Complete your Free Application for Federal Student Aid. The Office of Financial Aid can assist with any questions you may have.
- Apply for veterans benefits with Veterans Services.
- You will receive instructions in your Sycamore email on how to schedule a 30-minute meeting you must attend before your State Start-Up date.
- Your family members are invited to join you for this 30-minute appointment.
Step 5: Arrange Accommodations for disabilities with the Accessibility Resource Office (if applicable).
- Contact Accessibility Resource Office for academic support.
- Contact Residential Life for housing needs.
Attend your State Start-Up session
To Attend State Start-Up
Please note: State Start-Up is a virtual program for 2021. If you've already registered, your State Start-Up experience will still take place on the date that your registered.
- Attend your session at the time & date you are registered (in your confirmation email).
- Check your University email for your Zoom link and other important information.
- This information will be sent no more than 3 days before your date, but only after your steps from above are completed.
- Need to know more about What to Expect?
Want to join us on campus?
State Connect is an optional, on-campus opportunity for students and families to come to campus the month of June. During State Connect, you will meet meet other new Sycamores in a small group setting, see inside a Residence Hall, take a tour of campus to see where your classes are, and explore an interest area based on your selection. Register for a State Connect session.
Attend State Engage (August 15-16)
State Engage is the second part of your required State Orientation experience. It is a time for you to participate in campus traditions; explore university resources; and engage with advisors, faculty, and fellow students to create plans for your next four years. Check out all the events we have for you on our tentative schedule.
Before arriving on campus, complete the following
Submit required documents:
Review your financial aid offer and accept package
- If chosen for financial aid verification, make sure to submit all documentation.
- Contact the Financial Aid office about questions regarding your offer.
- Contact the Bursar's Office for questions regarding how to pay your bill or setting up a payment plan.
Order your textbooks
- You can order textbooks online through the Barnes & Noble ISU Bookstore. Choose the "Textbooks" link at the top of the page and use your class schedule to enter your department (ex. ENG), course number (ex. 101), and section number (ex. 001).
Complete these additional items:
- Submit photo for your Student ID card via Blackboard.
- Purchase a Parking Permit online and save $15!
- Make sure you have a laptop.