What You Can Do
There are things you can do to lessen the chances of getting sick and to be prepared in case a pandemic outbreak occurs.
- Store a supply of water and food. If you cannot get to a store or if supplies are running low, this will come in handy. This supply can be useful in other types of emergencies such as power outages and disasters. Items to have on hand include ready-to-eat canned meats, fruits, vegetables and soups; protein or fruit bars; dry cereal or granola; peanut butter or nuts; dried fruit; crackers; and canned juices and bottled water. Other items include baby food and formula and pet food. Stocking up is easy if you follow the Vigo County Health Department's calendar.
- Have nonprescription drugs and health supplies on hand -- including pain relievers, stomach remedies, cough and cold medicines, fluids containing electrolytes and vitamins.
- Whether its a pandemic or a natural disaster, it is important to have a family communication plan.
- Talk with family members and loved ones to develop a plan how to care for them if they get sick.
TO LIMIT THE SPREAD OF GERMS AND PREVENT INFECTION:
- Wash hands frequently with soap and water or an alcohol-based gel.
- Cover you mouth when you cough and sneeze with a tissue or your upper sleeve.
- Eat a well-balanced diet, drink plenty of fluids and consider taking a vitamin supplement.
- Stay away from others if you are sick.