Sycamore Graduation Guarantee
As part of the Indiana State Advantage, undergraduate degree-seeking full-time freshman applicants are included in the Sycamore Graduation Guarantee. This assures eligible students will be able to complete a bachelor’s degree on time. If students adhere to the graduation guarantee responsibilities but do not finish in four years, Indiana State University will pay the tuition and any mandatory fees for any remaining required courses.*
The Sycamore Graduation Guarantee applies to all undergraduate degree programs of 128 semester hours or fewer.
Indiana State University Responsibilities:
- Confirm a student’s eligibility into the graduation guarantee based on chosen program of study and any college preparation deficiencies.
- Provide appropriate courses for the major to ensure that the degree can be completed during the four-year period.
- Provide access to quality advising throughout a student's time at Indiana State.
- Provide tools, including but not limited to degree audit reporting to enable the student to monitor degree progression.
- Provide an annual assessment report indicating if the student is on track to graduate within four years and, if not, what issues need to be addressed to get back into compliance with the Sycamore Graduation Guarantee.
- If a student is unable to graduate within four years due to the unavailability of required courses, the University may, when appropriate, allow the student to graduate by substituting a different course or an independent study assignment, as determined by the department and the college offering the student's major.
- If course substitution is not an option, and the student is unable to graduate after completing four years and complying with all terms of the Sycamore Graduation Guarantee, Indiana State will pay the tuition and mandatory fees for any additional required courses*.
*The student must request a course substitution or waiver of tuition prior to the beginning of classes for the last semester of the student's four-year plan. The waiver of tuition will be limited to tuition and mandatory fees for the required course(s) and does not extend to any other cost of attendance including room and board fees and textbooks. All other fees will be the responsibility of the student.
Student Responsibilities and Eligibility:
- Apply and attend Indiana State University as an undergraduate degree-seeking full-time freshman applicant.
- Acknowledge they have read and understood the student responsibilities by authorizing the Sycamore Graduation Guarantee Student Responsibilities in their MyISU Portal by the end of their first semester.
- Meet with their designated advisor to develop a four-year plan to identify the courses they must complete each semester to stay on course to graduate within four years. Students assume responsibility for monitoring their progress-to-degree by utilizing the degree reporting tool (MySAM) and are required to meet with their advisor each semester to ensure that they stay on track.
- Follow appropriate course sequencing (as defined in the MySAM plan) and completing prerequisites and required grades for progression.
- Must be admitted to a degree applicable major by the end of their second semester. If a change of major is approved, it must be done in time to meet the requirements of the new major and graduate within the original four-year time period.
- Remain in good academic standing each term/semester (by both institutional and major standards).
- Complete between 30-32 degree applicable credit hours each academic year. Academic year is defined as fall/spring/summer for summer/fall applicants; spring/summer/fall for spring applicants.
- Monitor their progress and email their designated advisor and the Guarantee program at email@example.com during the priority registration period if unable to register for a required course needed to meet progression/graduation standards.
- Ensure they have no holds blocking registration for courses during the priority registration period.
- Summer/fall applicants must apply for graduation by October 1 prior to their spring/summer graduation; Spring applicants must apply for graduation by February 1 prior to their fall graduation.
At various points, students may fall out of compliance with the agreement due to financial constraints, academic performance, change of major, and/or other issues. Students should work with their advisors to determine what options (summer school, tutoring, etc.) may exist to address those issues and come back into compliance.
Frequently Asked Questions
For more information, read these frequently asked questions.
For assistance, email Indiana State University at firstname.lastname@example.org
Office of the Registrar
Indiana State University
The Catalog of Indiana State University is the document of authority for all students. The requirements given in the Catalog supersede information issued by any academic department, program, college, or school. The University reserves the right to change the requirements at any time. The right to correct errors is also reserved.
**Eligibility for the Tuition-Free Guarantee / Experience / Sycamore Graduation Guarantee will be determined by Indiana State University and is subject to modification based on additional information, a change in circumstances, or other reason. The information on this site is provided for informational purposes only and does not create a binding legal obligation.