You are here

ResLife FAQs

Housing FAQs

How do I fill out an application?

You can find our application by going to, and follow the link to start the application process. (You will need to log into the ISU portal)

When will I know where I am assigned for the fall/spring semester, and who my roommate is going to be?

For new students: Spring housing assignments begin in December.  Fall housing and roommate assignments are sent via email at the end of July.

For returning students: Spring housing assignments will begin in January. Students will receive their room assignments as they are created.
Fall assignments begin in May, and students are informed of their room and roommate assignments on a first-come-first-served basis.

Why wasn't I placed in the Living Learning Community I chose?

There are a few reasons why you weren't placed in the community you originally selected:

  1. Your application was not accepted for the community as part of the review process.
  2. The community was already full. 
  3. To accommodate your roommate request, you were placed in a different community.
  4. You do not meet the major requirement for your specific community (College of Health and Human Services, Honors, Etc.).
  5. Your request was sent after the deadline to apply for the community. 

I wanted to live in Honors College Housing, why was I not assigned there?

  • Honors spaces fill very quickly. Students who are interested in Honors housing are encouraged to apply for the Honors College and sign a housing contract as early as possible.
  • If you put roommate as a priority preference, that person must also be an Honors student and request Honors housing.
  • If you have questions about whether you are eligible for Honors housing, please contact the Honors College office at 812-237-3225.

I have a medical need, and my assignment will not meet my medical need, what can I do?

All medical accommodation requests had to be submitted by the due date in order to be considered in your housing assignment. If you have a new medical condition, please contact the Office of Residential Life to further discuss your situation. If you have submitted your medical accommodation form and still have questions or concerns, please call the Residential Life office at 812-237-3993. ADA form can be found by going to the following

  Returning Students Freshman/Transfer Students
Summer Session April 30th

April 30th

Fall Semester April 15th June 30th
Spring Semester November 1st November 1st


Can I find off-campus housing later if I change my mind?

No, our housing contracts are legally binding contracts. Similar to a lease you would sign for off campus housing.

I requested break housing but I don’t need it now.

Break housing is included in Rhoads Hall, 500 Wabash and University Apartments. If you are assigned to any other building break housing is not included. You may contact our main office to talk about the room change process.

May I request a particular residence hall?

If you are a freshman, no. Freshman are assigned by lifestyle preference selected on their application. Returning students can request a particular hall and/or room during the room sign-up process each spring.

When can I move into my room?

You will actually be able to set your move-in time! In mid-July we will send information about your fall housing assignment and move-in. Included in this will be the instructions for how to sign up for your move-in time.

I need to arrive early because of (band, athletics, etc.) what do I need to do? How much will it cost me extra?

  • You must be part of an approved group/program to arrive early
  • Your program director, coach, etc. will add your name to the group list for early arrival
  • The rate for early arrival is $20 per night, if not covered by your program
  • Check with your program to see if you are paying the fee, or if they will cover the cost
  • Depending on arrival date, you may be placed into interim housing until your permanent assignment is ready

I need to stay over break periods, but I was not assigned to a break housing building, what can I do?

If you didn’t indicate that you need break housing, you were not assigned. Break housing is automatically included in Rhoads Hall, 500 Wabash and University Apartments. We do offer a limited amount of walk in spaces on a first come first serve basis. When available, there is a $20 per night charge for walk-in break housing.

I am a _______ major, why was I not assigned to a living learning community with my major?

  • We don't have a community available for ALL majors, but we do have communities for ALL types of students!
  • Spaces are limited and fill up quickly
  • Roommate preference was priority
  • We offer other living communities that can help you be a successful student

I am interested in living in Lead or Integr8, is it too late to get into these communities?

Please contact the Office of Residential Life at 812-237-3993 for more information and availability.

What if I need special accommodations?

Residential Life will work with students to help meet their special needs. The following features are available in some of our residence hall rooms: Bed shakers, fire alarm activated strobe lights, and specially equipped bathrooms, Students with special needs should contact the Residential Life Office by email ( or by phone (812-237-3993)

Can I get a single room?

Any singles that may be available are searchable in the housing portal during room selection. If you do not see any single room options while doing your room selection process then none are available to you. During the year space may open and a single room could be available during a specially advertised process.

May I tour a room or apartment?

Prospective students may work with Office of Admissions for a campus tour which includes a model residence hall room. Detailed 3-D virtual tours are available on each building's description page. Click here to see all our building pages.

When is the University Apartments' office open?

The University Apartments' Office is open Monday - Friday, 8:00AM - noon and 1:00 PM - 4:30 PM when the University is open. During the major move-in time in August the office has extended hours.
The University Apartments' Office can be reached at:

University Apartments Office phone: 812-237-2443
201 Crawford Street #107 fax number: 812-237-4943
Terre Haute, IN 47809  


Policy FAQs

What are quiet hours?

The Office of Residential Life and Housing staff members have a shared responsibility with students to insure that residence halls/university apartments are positive environments that support studying and sleeping. Contributing to unreasonable noise in the residence halls is not permitted. Noise should not be audible outside the door, floor or ceiling of a room. Within a room, study or quiet time takes priority. For this reason, the University quiet hours are in effect for all residence hall floors and University Apartments from:
• 10:00 p.m. until 8:00 a.m. the following morning, Sunday through Thursday and
• Midnight to 10:00 a.m. on Friday, Saturday and holidays.

During quiet hours, it is a reasonable expectation that residents should be able to study or sleep in their rooms, uninterrupted by extraneous noises. To ensure that an academically supportive environment exists, the following guidelines will be in effect:
• The noise level resulting from stereos, radios, television, talking, etc., in any area (rooms, bathrooms, etc.) should not be heard one door away from where it is originating. Also, no stereo should be able to be heard outside any residence hall. When using stereos, headphones are encouraged.
• Floor lounges are to be used for quiet activities (cards, television watching, games, programs, cooking, eating, etc.) plus any program approved by residence hall staff. Obviously, in open lounges, students and staff need to be even more aware of how their noise is affecting others.
• Conversation in the hallway must be held in a lowered voice.
• The primary responsibility for enforcement of quiet hours shall rest with individuals who are bothered by the noise.
• Residence hall staff will intervene to support quiet hours in those situations when they personally know of noise or when a resident has been unable to accomplish a successful intervention.
• Quiet hours will be in effect 24 hours a day during finals week. Generally quiet hours will begin at midnight on the Friday evening of the weekend before finals (if finals begin on a Monday).
• Drums and musical instruments should be played in music practice rooms, not in the residence hall rooms.
Residents who interfere with the rights of others to sleep and study during final exam week may be relocated or removed depending on their exam status.

What are courtesy hours?

Courtesy hours are in effect 24/7. This simply means that residents need to respect each other and noise should be kept within a reasonable volume. If a resident that lives two doors down can hear you, you are most likely being too loud.

What is your policy on guests?

Students are allowed to have guests, both during the day and overnight, so long as all fellow roommates approve of the guest staying. Guests must be escorted at all times by the host resident, and the host will be responsible for the behavior of the guest. If guests are causing issues in the community, Residential Life staff members have the right to ask your guest to leave. Each residents is limited to two guests with them upstairs in their residence hall floor/room at any one time. Residents wanting to meet with a larger group are encouraged to use the building common area (Lobby, Class Rooms, and Meeting Rooms) to socialize or study. Overnight visitation has these additional regulations:

  • Overnight guests will be permitted to stay for a maximum of three consecutive nights in a given hall. This is not to exceed ten days a semester and must be accompanied by a roommate’s prior consent.
  • Guests may be required to leave at the discretion of the Area Coordinator or other Residential Life staff members.

Can I bring my pet?

Residents/tenants may not keep or harbor dogs, cats, or other animals. Only fish, in tanks 10 gallons or less, are allowed. Contact the Office of Residential Life and Housing for questions regarding service animals and any questions concerning pets.

If I’m 21, can I drink in my room?

The regulation on the use of alcoholic beverages in the residence halls/apartments are consistent with university policies and Indiana state law which prohibits the purchase, use or possession of an alcoholic beverage by individuals who are not at least 21 years of age. In all University housing, with the exception of approved apartments in 500 Wabash and the University Apartments, alcohol is not permitted to be possessed and/or consumed, regardless of age. These regulations apply to all students who reside in University housing as well as students’ guest(s). It should be noted that the presence of empty alcoholic beverage containers leads to a rebuttable presumption that the student(s) found in possession of such containers possessed and/or consumed the original container’s contents. If empty alcoholic beverages containers are found in the student’s residence it will be in violation of these regulations; the student will be asked to remove these containers and may be referred through the student conduct process. It is unlawful to sell, furnish, and give alcoholic beverages or to permit alcoholic beverages to be sold, furnished or given to anyone under the age of 21. Residents will be held responsible for activities that occur in their room/apartment and will be referred to the Office of Residential Life, Student Conduct and Integrity and/or University Police if guests are violating the on-campus alcohol policies listed above. (See Alcohol Policy in the Housing and Dining Regulations)

I’m walking down the hall and notice people drinking/smoking, what do I do?

If you notice any suspicious activity, notify your RA. If your RA isn’t available contact the RA on duty by going down to, or calling the front desk of your building.

Can family members live with me?

Students qualify for “family housing” under the following conditions:

1. Student has a dependent child living with them.
2. Student has a spouse living with them.

For further information regarding the family policy, please contact the UA Office at 812-237-2443.

May I have a pet at University Apartments?

Only fish in 10 gallon tanks are allowed. Tenants may not keep or harbor any dogs, cats, or other caged animals. Check with the UA Office if you have questions concerning pets.

What about fire safety?

The University has taken many precautions to limit the danger of fire in the residence halls, but the main responsibility falls to the residents. Below are policies students need to follow:

1. Any appliance that may create a fire or safety hazard should not be used in student rooms or in any area of the suites in Lincoln Quad. Gas appliances of any kind, grills and space heater are prohibited. The use of: hot plates, electric skillets, toasters, irons or any appliance with an exposed heating element or heating surface are prohibited in student rooms or suites. These appliances may be used in the floor lounge areas only.
2. Highly flammable products must not be brought into the hall. The use of kerosene, gasoline, naphtha, benzene, and propane are prohibited.
3. To prevent the rapid spread of room fires on the floors, residents should not remove ceiling tiles (suspended or interlocked) at any time.
4. Lighted candles, oil lamps, fireworks, sparklers, and smoke bombs may not be used anywhere in the residence halls.
5. All lighting needs to be UL approved for the student's safety and the safety of others. Halogen lamps are not allowed in student rooms.
6. Do not overload electrical circuits. Care should be taken in the use of all electrical cords and the overloading of sockets. All electrical cords should be UL approved. Extension cords should not run under rugs or closed doors.
7. Fire doors are to be kept closed. These doors prevent fire, smoke and fumes from spreading through the building in the event of fire thus keeping some routes clear for a safe exit. Glass inserts in the fire doors may not be covered with paper, cellophane or paint.
8. Make sure access to doors and window are clear. Furniture must be arranged to permit full opening of doors and windows. Lofts must not be located in front of windows.
9. Bicycles should not be chained to stairways or left on landing. Personal belongings should not be left in corridors, stairwells, or other common areas.
10. Anyone who tampers with the firefighting equipment, fire alarms, guard rails, exit lights, or any other equipment on the campus in such a way as to endanger his/her own safety or the safety of others, subjects himself/herself to disciplinary actions up to and including suspension which may be taken in addition to civil action.

Each residence hall has a central fire alarm system. This system calls the fire department, ISU Public Safety and sounds an alarm in the building. Smoke detectors are located in public areas, hallways, and individual student rooms. In addition, there are fire alarm boxes and fire extinguishers on every floor. When an alarm sounds staff members will take all necessary steps to assist in the prompt evacuation of a building. Students are required and expected to leave when an alarm sounds. Conduct action will be initiated with all students who fail to obey alarms. Staff members cannot be expected to unlock every door to alert residents. In the case of fire, the residence hall staff's primary responsibility is to make sure that the building evacuated and that the residents stay away from the building until it is safe to re-enter. Fire and police personnel will be advised of any areas or occupants whose safety or accountability is in doubt.

Preparedness: Be completely familiar with fire drill procedures and follow them implicitly. Emergency placards are located on the back of each residence hall room. Know your fire exits and some convenient alternatives including all dining room exits. Know the location of the nearest fire alarm box and fire extinguisher. Fire drills are conducted each semester in the residence halls.

In Case of Fire: Pull an alarm. Notify the receptionists of the fire location in the quickest way possible. Close your room door. Immediately evacuate the building and follow fire drill procedures.

All fires, no matter how small, should be reported to residence hall staff immediately. Any resident responsible for causing a fire in University Housing may be charged for the cost of repairs or replacements.

When Alarm Sounds: React to every alarm as if there is a fire. Keep calm and follow full emergency procedures and/or instructions. Put on a long coat, sturdy shoes, and carry a towel. Open draperies, close windows and closet doors. Turn off electrical equipment except overhead light. Take your room keys, student ID, lock your door and proceed to nearest assigned fire exit. Do not use elevators. Walk rapidly, but do not run.

Remain outside the building until the signal is given to return. Individuals with mobility impairment should call 911 and notify Public Safety as to his/her location.

What should I do during a tornado or severe storms?

The emergency alarm, a wailing siren, is sounded throughout campus in the case a tornado being sighted in the area. Some Residence halls have an alarm system that will announce the warning along with the siren sounding. The emergency alarm is usually tested the first Tuesday of every month at 11:00 a.m.

When the alarm sounds students should get as fully dressed as time allows, take your room key, Student ID and flashlight, close your window, exit the room, and close and lock the door. Remain on your floor, sit quietly on the corridor floor next to a concrete wall and wait for instructions. Do not panic and follow the guidelines and instructions of staff members.

University Apartment residents should close your windows, take a flashlight and battery operated radio, go into your bathroom, and close the door. Remain there until the storm has past

Can I have a loft in my room?

Yes, you can rent a loft in your housing portal starting in mid-June. Renting a loft from them will not only make more space in your room, but will also benefit RHA (ISU Residence Hall Association). Lofts must be rented from ISU and outside vendor lofts/brands are not allowed.

Roommate FAQs

My roommate is (ethnicity, religious group, etc.) and I cannot live with a person from this background

We believe that living with someone who is different from you provides a very valuable learning experience that is critical to entering the global marketplace upon graduation. In residential life, our educational priority is citizenship and learning the expectations and responsibilities of being a member of a community. Part of being a member of a community is exploring diversity of perspectives and experiences of people of that community. For that reason, we have made the decision that we will not move an individual because their roommate come from a different background. Rather, we will work to support students as they learn from one another and experience firsthand the diversity of experiences that makes Indiana State University a thriving learning community. Our staff is happy to sit down with you and your roommate to have a conversation about roommate expectations and guidelines.

What happens if my mutual roommate request and I do not want to room together?

For Returning Students: Once you receive your room selection timeslot, you will independently select your space. When you select your room, you can select a different room than your mutually requested roommate.

For Freshman/New Students: Roommate changes are due on June 1st. Unfortunately, we are not able to accept roommate changes after this date. 

How do I make sure I get assigned with my preferred roommate?

For NEW Students - you will need to request and mutually accept (Both students accept the roommate request) each other. Then make sure you have both selected the same community. Barring outside circumstances, you should be placed together

For RETURNING Students - request and mutually accept each other, then make sure to place both yourself and your roommate in the room when you pick your rooms.

What if I don't get along with my roommate?

An important part of residence hall life is living with your roommate. If you have never shared a room before, it will be an adjustment. We encourage you and your roommate to sit down with your Resident Assistant the very first week of school and complete a "Roommate Agreement". This is a form that helps you outline guidelines, goals, and expectations that you have for sharing space. Doing this early will help avoid conflict with your roommate. If you do have issues, don't let them go unaddressed. This will only make matters worse. If you are unable to resolve the issues and need help, contact your Resident Assistant (RA). RAs are trained in conflict mediation and can help define what the issues are and help roommates come to a resolution. The Area Director and Assistant Hall Directors (AHDs) are also available to help with roommate conflicts. If the difficulties cannot be reconciled between the roommates, and mediation is unsuccessful one or both roommates may be moved to another room or Hall.

May I have a roommate at University Apartments?

If you are a single student and would like another student as a roommate, both students will have to complete an application and request each other as roommates. You must have a roommate if you are living in a one bedroom w/ study apartment. If you do not have a roommate preference, one will automatically be assigned to you.

I’m getting a new roommate, what do I do?

In general, make sure all your belongings are in your area of the room. Make sure your roommate has room to move in to the area. Reach out to your new roommate and get to know each other before they come (if possible).

If you are in a traditional residence hall (Sycamore Towers, Burford, Pickerl, Erickson, Hines, Jones, Sandison) make sure there is an open area for your roommate and their things. The room should also have an open bed, dresser, chest of drawers and desk for your roommate.

If you are in a suite or apartment style room, be sure none of your belongings are in your roommate's personal room and that all furniture is in the common areas.

Miscellaneous FAQs

How can I prevent theft?

Do not loan your room/suite or elevator keys to anyone. Report lost or stolen keys immediately to the front desk. Keep your room locked when you are not there or are asleep. Keep credit cards, calling card numbers, check book and cash in a secure place. Do not post your calling card number by the telephone or leave it out for others to see. Do not leave personal items unattended in public areas, this includes the laundry rooms. Keep your vehicle doors locked and valuables out of sight. Report any thefts to Public Safety right away. Make sure you have Personal Property Insurance to cover any lost, damaged or stolen personal items.

Where do I get my mail sent to?

There are two different addresses you will need to use, one for letter mail and one for packages. Please be careful when providing your address as you will want to be sure the correct address is used depending on what is being sent to you.


All residence halls: 
Your Name
Building Name, Mailbox ### (note, no street address needed for letter mail)
Terre Haute, IN 47809

500 Wabash Apartments 
Your Name
9 N 5th St. Apt ### (note, the address is not 500 Wabash Avenue)
Terre Haute, IN 47807

University Apartments

Your Name
100 Farrington St. Apt ###
Terre Haute, IN 47807
Your Name
200 Farrington St. Apt ###
Terre Haute, IN 47807
Your Name
201 Crawford St. Apt ###
Terre Haute, IN 47807
Your Name
101 Crawford St. Apt ###
Terre Haute, IN 47807


Building Address 1 Address 2 Address 3
500 Wabash Apartments 9 N 5th Street, Apt### Indiana State University Terre Haute, IN 47807
Blumberg Hall 410 Mulberry Street Indiana State University Terre Haute, IN 47809
Burford Hall 200 N 6th Street Indiana State University Terre Haute, IN 47809
Cromwell Hall 400 Mulberry Street Indiana State University Terre Haute, IN 47809
Erickson Hall 218 N 6th Street Indiana State University Terre Haute, IN 47809
Hines Hall 460 N 5th Street Indiana State University Terre Haute, IN 47809
Mills Hall 411 Chestnut Street Indiana State University Terre Haute, IN 47809
Pickerl Hall 220 N 6th Street Indiana State University Terre Haute, IN 47809
Reeve Hall (Hines Hall Front Desk Pickup) 460 N 5th Street Indiana State University Terre Haute, IN 47809
Rhoads Hall 401 Chestnut Street Indiana State University Terre Haute, IN 47809
Sandison Hall 440 N 5th Street Indiana State University Terre Haute, IN 47809
University Apartments Unit 3 101 Crawford Street Indiana State University Terre Haute, IN 47807



What happens if I lose my key?

When a resident is unsure of the location of his/her key, there is some delay in its return, or the resident is locked out of his/her room, they should go to the front desk to obtain a loan key. The resident is required to show identification and sign a key agreement form. The charge for obtaining a loan key is $5.00 for each key. The resident has 72 hours to return the loan key or be charged for a lock change.

When the resident reports, to hall staff during University business hours, that his/her key is lost or stolen, the lock is changed and the resident is charged for the lock to be re-cored and all new keys to be cut. Charges are calculated at the cost of changing out the core(s) associated to all room/apartment doors, the cutting of new keys for that core and the cost of labor. These costs have been reviewed and approved by the University Board of Trustees.

If the key is reported lost during non-University business hours, the resident and roommate can either: (a) accept temporary accommodations until the next University business hours, or (b) request and emergency lock changed (this option does have extra cost associated for bringing staff in facilities staff after hours).

How do I get out of my housing contract?

According to the terms and conditions of the Residence Hall Contract, once a student has signed an on-line contract, a release will be granted only in unusual or extreme circumstances. Students should make no commitment for other housing until a release has been approved. Applications for Contract Release or Exception to the Housing Policy are available at the Residential Life Office.

Release Rationale: Students should be advised that contract releases or exceptions are granted only in situations involving extreme or unusual circumstances, the nature of which would prohibit living in a residence hall or impose a severe hardship. A desire to experience off-campus living is not considered an acceptable reason. The Residential Life housing contract is a legally binding contract for the full academic year. Students are cautioned not to sign legal agreements for off-campus housing until they receive an official release or exception in writing from the Residential Life Office.

Housing Policy: The University Housing Policy states that Freshman (student with less than 32 earned academic hours) are required to live in University residence halls unless they live and commute from their parent's home (within 60 miles from campus), or have a valid exception. Students who have lived in University residence halls for two semesters are exempt from this requirement. This policy applies to single students.
Categories considered for Contract Release or Exception: Please note the necessary documentation required to support the request.

What does smoke-free campus mean?

This means that smoking tobacco or any other substance is not permitted within the residence halls/apartments, the entrances to the residence halls/units, the parking lots, or in any other area of the University Apartments grounds that is not identified has a smoking area. If the smell of smoke carries over from your residence hall or apartment to the hallway you will also be found responsible for violating the smoking policy. You are permitted to smoke in the following areas:
• City Sidewalks (1st Street, Farrington Street, 3rd Street, Crawford Street)
• Designated smoke areas on campus

Where do I put my garbage?

Trash disposal from student rooms is the responsibility of the resident. Trash needs to be disposed of in designated trash areas (Trash Rooms located in the hall or Dumpster/Trash Cans located exterior to the building). Please see posted signs or hall staff for proper trash disposal locations. Improper trash disposal includes leaving trash in common area locations or disposing of trash in community location trash cans such as lounge/lobby or bathroom trash cans. Issues of improper trash disposal will be addressed with the community and followed up through the University Conduct process if necessary.

How can I contact my building’s front desk without going to the lobby?


  • Blumberg Hall: 812-237-6641
  • Cromwell Hall: 812-237-6611  
  • Rhoads Hall: 812-237-6222    
  • Mills Hall: 812-237-5999
  • Burford Hall: 812-237-5371
  • Pickerl Hall: 812-237-6111
  • Erickson Hall: 812-237-3031
  • Sandison Hall: 812-237-6333
  • Hines Hall: 812-237-5666
  • Jones Hall: 812-237-5777      
  • Reeve contact Hines or Jones

Apartment Office Phone Numbers

  • UA Office: 812-237-2443
  • 500 Office: 812-237-5990

I need a part time job to help pay for some of my expenses. Can I work on campus?

Employment Opportunities

Desk Attendants
A variety of individuals are employed in each hall to staff the front and night desks. Student employees are paid minimum wage base pay. Applications and information about the responsibilities of this position are available online via the career center website. After normal business hours a desk receptionist is responsible for assigned to assisting residents and their guests with gaining entry into the residence hall, some form of building security, and completes other duties as assigned. The hours of employment are determined according to the needs of the residence hall, but opportunities to work range from 12 to 20 hours a week.

Resident Assistants
Each floor/suite is assigned a Resident Assistant (RA) to provide advice, conflict mediation, resources, social events, as well as policy interpretation and enforcement. RA’s are paid food and housing. The hiring/selection process occurs during the spring semester for the upcoming academic year, all applicants must complete the SAHE 317 course prior to their employment.

There are positions available as student maintenance workers and student housekeepers in the residence halls and university apartments. Applications are available online via the career center website.

Dining Services 
Students are employed in the residence hall dining halls or the Commons for serving, clean up, and some preparation of food. Students usually work 10-18 hours per week. Preference in hiring is given to those students living on-campus. Applications for employment are available in the individual kitchens and at the Dining Services Central Office at 218 N. 6th Street. Located on the 1st floor of Erickson Hall at 6th and Eagle Street.

You can also find more work opportunities through the Career Center at ""

What size are the beds?

Rooms contain two twin beds that are a little longer than the standard size mattresses. Current students suggest you use extra-long twin sheets (36" X 80").

Is there a deposit?

No, there is a non-refundable $20 processing fee due at the time you submit your contract. Rooms are only reserved for those students who have completed their application and made their $150 initial payment.

What is Fall Signup?

Each spring semester during February and March the Residential Life Office will conduct a sign-up process for current students wishing to return to the residence halls the following year. Current residents are given written information concerning this process in late January/early February. RAs will hold floor/stairwell meetings to explain the process and to review the deadlines. In addition, the Residential Life Office has in the past advertised this process by: table tents, ads in the newspaper, posters, etc. The fall room sign-up process is done online.

Do I have to move everything out during the break times (Thanksgiving, Winter Break, Spring Break, etc.)?

No, as long as you remain enrolled and plan to return after the break. Most halls close over extended break periods: Thanksgiving, Winter, and Spring. For first year students, Rhoads Hall is open for the entire academic year. There is an additional charge for students staying during the breaks and space is limited.

Other halls are sometimes open for an extended period of Winter Break and Spring Break. Information about break housing is available at Residential Life Office a few weeks prior to the break. Summer Housing is available for students enrolled in summer classes.

What is the contract term at University Apartments?

University Apartments has two contract options.
1. Academic Year Contract. This contract starts the Friday before the Fall semester begins and ends the Saturday after finals are over.
2. Summer only contract. This contract is granted to students who are taking summer classes, are continuing as a resident in the UA’s over the following fall semester, or are an incoming resident starting classes over the summer.

What about parking on-campus?

Currently, all students are permitted to bring a car to campus, but you will need to purchase a parking permit. Parking permits are available from the Department of Public Safety. More information about parking permits and parking on the ISU campus are available at the Public Safety web site.


Residential Life Office

Erickson Hall
Phone: 812-237-3993
Fax: 812-237-8525
Hours: Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Social: @IndstateResLife on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram