You are here
What to Bring to Campus
1) Students should get in touch with their roommate to discuss and determine who is bringing the refrigerator, the microwave, the Xbox, etc.
2) Students should decide if they will rent a loft for their bed from bedloft.com. Check out Bedloft.com to make your reservation.
3) Start packing! Some recommended item to bring along with you might include:
Pandemic Spread Mitigation and Preparedness
- Hand sanitizer
- Disinfectant Wipes
- Face coverings (ISU will provide 2)
- Go-bag with necesities (In the event a student needs to quarantined)
- Alarm clock
- Flash drive
- Cell phone and charger
- TV with HDMI port or wireless capabilities
- Surge protector
- Laundry basket and detergent
- Flip flops
- Toilet paper and bathroom cleaning supplies if you have a private bathroom
- Trash bags
- Extra long twin sheets and pillow cases; deep pocket sheets also fit
- Backpack or messenger bag
- Desk lamp
- Decor – photos, pillows, posters, rug or a bean bag chair
- Hand sanitizer
- A few (microwave safe) eating and cooking utensils
- Multiple umbrellas (one for the room and one for your bag)
- Compact refrigerator, maximum capacity 3.5 cubic feet; maximum amperage 1.5 amp
- Microwave; not to exceed 700W
- School supplies - notebooks, binders, pencils, colored pencils, a calculator, pens, and a black marker
- Light cleaning supplies – glass and surface cleaners, dusters
- Food items (such as macaroni and cheese, ramen noodles, soup, cereal, crackers etc) to ward off hunger and the urge to order delivered foods
- Medical kit: digital thermometer, aspirin and/or ibuprofen, band-aids, gauze tape, antibiotic ointment, tweezers, reusable hot/cold pack, anti-diarrhea medicine, antihistamine, decongestant, antacid, throat spray/lozenges, cough medicine, tissues and any prescription medications
Things to leave at home:
- Hot surfaced appliances, such as hot plates, space heaters, George Foreman Grills, electric frying pans, etc.
- Room-size air conditioners (window and/or floor units)
- Halogen lamps
- Hunting equipment/firearms/weapons
- Pets (other than fish)
- Air fryer
4) Make sure you’ve signed up for a meal plan. If not, check out https://indstate.sodexomyway.com/dining-plans/index.html for more information on how to get a meal plan.
5) Obtain your ISU Parking Permit (if you are bringing a car). You can do this online by clicking here.
6) Make sure to write down or photograph items of value. Record make and model of electronics.
7) Check and make sure your parent’s homeowner’s policy covers items in your residence hall room. If not, it is suggested that you invest in renter’s insurance. ISU Residential Life do not assume responsibility for damages to personal belongings as per Residential Life Contract.
8) Bringing a bike to campus? Remember to bring a lock and register it with Public Safety.
9) Remember to secure an appliance dolly. Contact friends, family, neighbors, moving companies or mom and pop appliance stores to see about borrowing/renting one.