475.1 First Year Student Housing Requirements

475.1 First Year Student Housing Requirements

All single first year students (less than 32 earned academic hours) to live in University residence halls unless they commute from their parent's home (60 miles one way) or have a valid exception. Students of first year standing who have lived in University residence halls for two semesters would be exempt from this policy.

This policy can be found in the Policy Library, linked below:


Exemption Process

Exceptions to the residency policy may be granted only under certain limited conditions, including the following:

  • The Vice President for Student Affairs determines the policy shall be suspended and not enforced for that particular semester due to lack of space availability
  • Students residing at parents’/legal guardian’s permanent address, which must be located within 60 miles of campus as measured by Google.com (“Legal Guardian” means a person appointed guardian by a court of competent jurisdiction to act on behalf of the student in place of parents.  Legal documentation may be requested for verification)
  • Part-time student taking fewer than 12 hours during either a Fall or Spring semester
  • Students taking only online classes
  • Students who are a veteran of the US Armed Forces who served on active duty for at least one year
  • Students who are married and/or have dependent children (under the age of 18)
  • Students with specific medical/psychological/psychiatric needs which require special accommodations that cannot be accommodated in University-owned or University-operated housing
  • Students with certain criminal or disciplinary backgrounds making community living an inappropriate choice
  • An approved exception due to unforeseen, catastrophic, or financial hardship as determined by the Executive Director, Residential Life
  • International students
  • Students who have completed at least 30 earned academic credit hours accepted by the University toward a degree at the University (not inclusive of dual-credit earned as part of a high school curriculum)
  • Students having lived in university housing for at least two semesters
  • Students who are at least 21 years of age at the start of the term.

Exemptions must be requested through the student's housing portal.  From your MyISU portal, select the housing portal, then select "Apply" and select the term you are requesting.  In the Housing Intent page select Apply for Exemption and follow the prompts on the pages.


Residential Life

Hours: Monday-Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Telephone Residential Life: (812) 237-3993 or toll-free (888) 824-3920

Residential Life Office
218 N 6th St.
Terre Haute, IN 47809

Fax: (812) 237-8525
Email: Reslife@indstate.edu

Residence Hall Front Desk Numbers

Blumberg (812) 237-2420
Cromwell (812) 237-2354
Rhoads (812) 237-6222
Mills (812) 237-5999
Burford (812) 237-5371
Pickerl (812) 237-6111
Erickson (812) 237-3031
Sandison (812) 237-2068
Hines (812) 237-5666
Jones (812) 237-5777
Lincoln Quad (812) 237-5888
500 Wabash (812) 237-5990

University Apartments

Monday-Friday 7:30 a.m. - 7:30 p.m.
Saturday - Sunday 10:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.

Telephone UA Office: (812) 237-2443

University Apartment Office
Box 107 201 Crawford Street
Terre Haute, IN 47807

Fax: (812) 237-4943
Email: Reslife@indstate.edu

UA After Hours Duty Line: (812) 229-2041

Duty Hours:
Sunday - Thursday 6:30 p.m. - 7:30 a.m.
Weekends 24 hours
Holidays 24 hours

Facebook LogoTwitter Logo