Student Compensation

Payments received in connection with the performance of service by a student are taxable income and must be processed through payroll, applicable taxes withheld and reported on their W-2. Before the work begins, you must hire the student as an employee. Instructions on hiring student workers may be found online at the Student Employment Office. Student earnings are subject to payroll taxes.