University Faculty Senate
Indiana State University has a long and proud history of strong faculty governance. As far back as the beginning of President Parson's administration it has been requested that the faculty of Indiana State be involved with governance at the university. This first took the form of the Faculty Advisory Committee in the 1940's and 1950's. The success of faculty involvement lead to the creation of the Faculty Council in 1957. This peer-elected, twelve person council existed until 1970, when the faculty was given shared governance power by the Board of Trustees. This established the University Faculty Senate which created a group of forty (now thirty-four) elected faculty members including an Executive Committee consisting of nine Senate members.
The faculty, collectively and through their elected representatives, have been empowered by the Faculty Constitution approved by the Board of Trustees for over thirty years. This Constitution is based on the principle of shared governance. It defines the areas of the faculty's primary and advisory authority, as well as the structures and operations of the governing bodies through which this authority is exercised - the Faculty Senate and its standing committees.
This webpage is a resource intended to provide basic information about the history and current leadership of faculty governance, as well as to direct faculty to other useful resources. For detailed information about governance operations, including agendas, minutes, and historical documents, please refer to the Faculty Senate Canvas page or contact your Senate representatives for assistance.