SI Leaders' Duties
- Attend every class session to be intimately familiar with the content and learning objectives, taking notes as it informs their SI sessions.
- With the support of the faculty instructor, introduce themselves at the first class, describe how SI works, and provide basics on the days/times/location(s) of SI sessions.
- Schedule and lead three hours of SI sessions each week.
- Attend all meetings and trainings scheduled by the Coordinator of SI.
- Model appropriate behavior and exhibit the practices of a successful, eager learner.
- Conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner at all times.
- Employ interactive study techniques and a variety of learning strategies in their sessions.
- Maintain a policy of open and frequent communication with all students enrolled and with the instructor.
- Record accurate attendance numbers for each session using the online CfSS attendance system. Use the KRONOS payroll system to report hours worked.
- Display positivity, encouragement, and persistence with regard to the students, instructors, and the course itself.
SIs Should Not:
- Give students answers on any graded assignment.
- Grade or edit students’ papers, quizzes, exams, etc. SIs should not participate in any evaluative procedure for the instructor.
- Request payment for any work done outside the classroom or the SI sessions, such as preparation of lessons, research, reading texts or other materials, etc.
- Make negative comments regarding the course, the materials, the instructor, other students, the curriculum, etc.
- Participate in the teaching of a class.
What are the benefits of being an SI Leader?
The position of SI Leader is a paid professional opportunity for student leaders to build positive and supportive relations with an academic department, gain experience working with and guiding students, and perform a critical examination of an academic discipline in preparation for an advanced degree. SI Leaders work approximately 6 hours per week.
8.00 AM - 4.30 PM
Indiana State University
Normal Hall - First Floor