You are here
Math Placement Test
In order to correctly place students in mathematics courses at Indiana State University, students are required to take a mathematics placement test. The test can be taken on-line in less than an hour.
If you are an incoming ISU student, the test must be completed before attending orientation. This is a requirement for all students that are new to ISU. The only exception may be for recent high school graduates who scored a B or better in both semesters of high school Algebra II. There is no charge to take the Math Placement Test.
Students who have not taken their Math Placement Test will be placed in the lowest math course.
To take the Math Placement Test, you must first take the Practice Test. Once you have taken the Practice Test, you will be prompted to take the Math Placement Test.
- To take the Practice Test, click here.
- Math Placement Test
- Your user login is your 991 number (included in your admission acceptance letter).
- Your password is your birth date in the following format: mmddyyyy. **If your birth month starts with a zero, leave that zero off when typing your password. This should prevent login issues.**
NOTE: If you are having difficulties, please read these frequently asked questions.
- The math placement test must be taken in one sitting. Do not log out of the test or walk away before the test is completed.
- If you print out the test you must stay logged into the test to enter your answers. Do not log out of the test or walk away before you have submitted your answers.
If you have questions regarding the online Math Placement Test, please contact the Testing Office. To help us serve you better, please write Math Placement in the subject line of your email.
Q: When I logged in to take the Math Placement Test, it says "I am not Enrolled in any Classes" what do I do?
A: On the left hand side in Blue you will see "Enroll in a Class" Click on "Enroll in a Class". On the next page choose Math Placement Test and Register.
Q: There is a Test A and a Test B which do I choose?
A: Choose Test A. Test A has 18 questions. If you score a 12 or higher you qualify to take Test B which has 12 questions. If you qualify for Test B, you will have an additional hour to take Test B.
Q: When will my scores show up on MySam?
A: Scores are uploaded overnight so your scores will show up in MySam the day after you take the test.
Indiana State University
John W. Moore Welcome Center
318 North Sixth Street
Terre Haute, Indiana