Benefits Programs

Listed below are the most widely used programs for federal and state education benefits. A brief overview of each program is provided. Students who wish to verify enrollment at ISU must follow these instructions.

Other Benefits Programs:

  • Transfer of Post-9/11 GI Bill Benefits to Dependents (TEB): Service members enrolled in the Post-9/11 GI Bill® Program may be able to transfer unused educational benefits to their spouses or children.
  • Tuition Assistance Top Up: Using Top-Up benefits may be an option for individuals who plan to use tuition assistance (TA) to complete a degree program while on active duty. Top-up can be helpful for just taking a few courses with TA while on active duty; then individuals can save most of their GI Bill benefits for after service to complete an education program.

Tuition assistance versus the Department of Veterans Affairs education benefits

All Service members utilizing tuition assistance should speak with their Educational Services Officers (ESO) or counselor within their military service prior to enrolling at Indiana State University or any institution of higher education.  Whereas military funding is limited, it is important for all service members to use all their resources in making any educational decision.

While the TA program is offered by the services, the Department of Veterans Affairs administers a variety of education benefit programs. Some of the VA programs, such as the Post-9/11 Veterans Education Assistance Act of 2008, also known as the Post-9/11 GI Bill, can work well with the TA program, as it can supplement fees not covered by TA. In addition, the Post-9/11 GI Bill® funds are available to you after you leave the military. If your service ended before Jan. 1, 2013, you have 15 years to use this benefit. If your service ended on or after Jan. 1, 2013, the benefit won’t expire. The TA program is a benefit that is available only while you’re in the service.

Tuition assistance benefits and restrictions

Tuition assistance will cover the following expenses:

  • Tuition: $250 per credit hour directly to the University.  

NOTE: All fees must directly relate to the specific course enrollment of the service member.

Tuition assistance will not cover the following expenses:

  • Books and course materials
  • Flight training fees
  • Taking the same course twice
  • Continuing education units, or CEUs

Keep in mind that TA will not fund your college courses, and you will have to reimburse any funds already paid, if any of the following situations occur:

  • Leaving the service before the course ends
  • Quitting the course for reasons other than personal illness, military transfer or mission requirements
  • Failing the course

Application process

Each military branch has its own TA application form and procedures. To find out how to get started, visit your local installation education center, go online to a virtual education center or click on the following links for each service branc

Other Helpful Links

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

Important: The information on this Web site is not intended to be a comprehensive guide for all benefits and eligibility requirements.
For complete guidelines, visit the following sites: Veterans Affairs or the Indiana Commission for Higher Education Division of Student Financial Aid.