Post-9/11 GI Bill

  • You may be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33) if you served on active duty after September 11, 2001.
  • Benefits are prorated based upon the number of credit hours you choose to enroll in.
  • You must be degree seeking (have a declared major), or be an Open Preference student, not to exceed two semesters. (Note: For certificates, endorsements, and licensure programs, check with the VA for approval.)
  • If you are eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill, you may be eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program.
  • If you think you may be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill, you should apply. Instructions are provided below. Upon receipt of your application, Veterans Affairs will review your file and notify you regarding your eligibility, typically within 8-10 weeks.

Note: In addition to applying for veterans educational benefits, our office recommends that all ISU students completing degrees (or pursing required teacher certifications), complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) by March 10 each year to ensure that they will be considered for all possible types of funding, including state and federal financial aid, loans, grants, and work-study programs.


This program provides up to 36 months of education benefits to eligible applicants. For details on benefits, visit Veterans Affairs .

Note: For many eligible participants, the Post-9/11 GI Bill® is a better alternative than other education benefit programs, such as the Montgomery GI Bill®—Active Duty, Montgomery GI Bill®—Selected Reserve, and the Reserve Education Assistance Program (REAP). However, this decision depends on several factors, including the type of education or training you plan to take and the amount of benefits received under each program. For further information, visit the VA Benefit Comparison Tool.


To avoid a delay in acquiring your benefits, the process should begin 12 weeks before classes begin.

How To Apply for Education Benefits

For instructions and on-line application, go to:

Upon receipt of your application, Veterans Affairs will issue a VA Claim Number.

Enrollment Certification

In order to receive veterans educational benefits, students must certify enrollment.

  • Certify with ISU (each semester): ISU form
  • Certify with VA: not currently required
Report Change in Major/Program

Students must report a change in major or program by contacting the Office of Registration and Records at (812) 237-2020. Failure to report a change in major or program may result in delay or loss of payment of educational benefits.


For information, assistance—or to schedule an appointment, contact:

Veterans Services Coordinator
Indiana State University
Welcome Center, room 118
318 North Sixth Street
Terre Haute, Indiana

To help us serve you better, please indicate that you are interested in assistance with veterans benefits when you contact our office.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at