For Parents and Families

So Your Student Wants to Join a Fraternity or Sorority...

Q: What will my student have to do to join a fraternity/sorority?

A: First, they will have to enroll in the recruitment process (for the Interfraternity Council or Panhellenic Association) or attend informational meetings and events (for National Pan-Hellenic Council). The fraternity and sorority processes are different, but they base themselves around being introduced to current members and deciding which organization in which they feel that they "fit." Afterward they will go through a further "New Member" education process within their chosen fraternity/sorority.

Q: Does it cost money to join a fraternity/sorority?

A: Yes. Joining a fraternity or sorority isn’t free, but it is well worth it. Cost varies from group to group, but membership lasts a lifetime! The average cost is only $406 a semester, which comes to only $3.63 a day for a decision that will change your life. If interested in the Panhellenic Association, there is a small fee to register to participate in recruitment.

Q: Will my student's grades suffer?

A: Typically, fraternity or sorority students' grades go up. With study groups, GPA requirements, required study hours, and the atmosphere of other people doing their work, your student should be influenced to excel in their classes. The average GPA of the fraternity/sorority community typically exceeds the average GPA of all undergraduate students.

Q: Will my student be required to live in fraternity or sorority housing?

A: Not all fraternities and sororities have a recognized facility, and live-in requirements depend on the organization. Be sure to encourage your student to ask these questions during a recruitment process. If the organization has a facility, your student will want to live in the fraternity or sorority housing to take advantage of the opportunities it presents. Encourage your student to talk to the members who currently live in the fraternity or sorority housing for more information about what it's like to live there.

Q: Will my student be hazed?

A: Hazing is prohibited at Indiana State University and by all inter/national fraternities and sororities. Those who believe they are being hazed, have witnesses hazing in any form, or have questions of what constitutes hazing should contact the Office of Fraternity & Sorority Life (812) 237-3852, the Office of Student Conduct & Integrity (812) 237-3800, and/or the Inter/National Headquarters of the specific group involved. Anyone may also submit the Anonymous Hazing Report Form

For any additional questions or concerns, please contact:

Kristen Kardas
Director of Fraternity & Sorority Life
(812) 237-3820

Chapters at ISU

There are 26 Greek-letter chapters at Indiana State University in three governing councils: Interfraternity Council (IFC), National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC), and Panhellenic Association (PA).

By clicking on the name of each chapter, you can explore their inter/national websites to learn more about each organization. PLEASE NOTE: Organizations that are listed as inactive/unrecognized organizations are no longer active at the University. Students are STRONGLY DISCOURAGED from joining any organization that is listed underneath an unrecognized heading. 

IFC NPHC Panhellenic
Alpha Sigma Phi Alpha Kappa Alpha Alpha Chi Omega
Delta Sigma Phi Alpha Phi Alpha Alpha Omicron Pi
Lambda Chi Alpha Delta Sigma Theta Alpha Phi
Phi Kappa Psi Kappa Alpha Psi Alpha Sigma Alpha
Pi Kappa Alpha Omega Psi Phi Chi Omega
Pi Kappa Phi Sigma Gamma Rho Delta Gamma
Sigma Alpha Epsilon Zeta Phi Beta Gamma Phi Beta
Sigma Phi Epsilon   Sigma Kappa
Tau Kappa Epsilon Inactive/Unrecognized NPHC Groups Zeta Tau Alpha
Theta Chi Iota Phi Theta  
  Phi Beta Sigma  
Inactive/Unrecognized IFC Groups    
Kappa Alpha Order    
Kappa Sigma    
Phi Gamma Delta    
Phi Delta Theta    
Pi Lambda Phi    
Sigma Chi    
Sigma Tau Gamma