External Agencies

Indiana State University is dedicated to providing all prospective and current students a positive learning experience throughout their educational endeavors. In furtherance of that goal, distance students should review the following information for submission of complaints to external agencies.  Specifically found on this page is information regarding the following: Higher Learning Commission, National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements, and links to the appropriate agency by State.

Prior to filing a complaint with a state or external agency, it is recommended students review the Indiana State University complaint policy and procedures. For additional information or assistance go to "Direct Assistance" on this site.

A complaint may be filed with ISU’s accreditation authority, The Higher Learning Commission (HLC) at: https://www.hlcommission.org/HLC-Institutions/complaints.html or by mail to the Commission’s office at: 230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500, Chicago, IL 60604-1411.

Indiana State University is a member of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) and, as such, has agreed to comply with that organization’s policies and procedures. SARA has a complaint policy which may be utilized by prospective, current, or former students residing in the following states:

Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, and Wyoming.

Distance learners in non-SARA states have the option to contact their home state complaint authorities if internal resolution is not obtained. See below for the contact information for each state in which a complaint may be filed.

A complaint which is not resolved internally may be submitted within two years as an appeal to the SARA portal agency by submitting a complete SARA Complaint Resolution Form to the following address:

Indiana Commission for Higher Education
101 W. Ohio St., Suite 550
Indianapolis, IN 46204-1984


State Contact Information Regarding Filing of Complaints for Distance Learners

To view a list of each state and the corresponding complaint process click the following: