You are here

Parents,Faculty, and Staff

How Do I Talk with a Distressed Student?

Listen: Listening is an important part of support
Empathize: Understanding from another's perspective is often helpful
Normalize: Feeling overwhelmed and stressed out are common aspects of college life
Set limits on your role: Set comfortable limits for yourself when the support you provide doesn't feel like enough. That is the time to refer.
De-stigmatize SCC: Help take the anxiety out of seeking help. SCC is here for the students because college is a time for growth and development, which can sometimes be pretty difficult.

What Should I Let Students Know About SCC?

Points to Pass On 

  • Information shared by the student with a CAPS therapist is confidential.
  • Visits to SCC are not recorded on academic transcripts.
  • Students use SCC services for many reasons. Students face many academic concerns and social pressures. At times, they may feel anxious, angry, lonely, or depressed. Some students are struggling with being away from home. Getting help is not a sign of weakness.
  • There is no charge for initial consultation appointments. CAPS works in a brief therapy model and the number of sessions a student needs is discussed between the student and the therapist.
  • Group therapy is available at no extra charge to students. The only exception to this when students wish to join our Artistic Expressions group. This group has a $20 fee for materials.

When Should I Refer a Student to SCC?

As an advisor, mentor, professor, resident assistant, or staff person students may seek you out as a source of support.

Personal hints to help you decide when it's time to refer:

  • The student's struggles leave you feeling helpless.
  • Your best efforts are not adequate support for the student.
  • You may feel unable or uncomfortable with providing extensive support.
  • You feel like you have reached your limit or have exhausted your ideas on how to help.
  • You have doubts as to what may help the student.
  • You feel increasingly anxious and pre-occupied about the student's struggle.
  • You feel angry or intimidated by the student's comments or behavior.
  • You are spending large amounts of time on the student's issues.
  • The student's issues are too close to home for you, making it hard to get and keep perspective.

Some additional tips on referring:

  • Share with the student your interest in them and in their well-being.
  • The choice to seek our help is usually up to the student.
  • Discuss with the student what they might expect when they meet with a therapist at SCC.
  • Give the student the option to call SCC from your office.
  • Ask the student if he or she would like you to make the call to SCC while they are with you or if you can accompany them to the SCC office; if you are willing.
  • If you can, provide the student a name of someone specific at SCC to talk with.
  • Referring to SCC can help the student begin to help him or herself.





Contact Info

217 North 6th Street
2nd Floor, Gillum Hall
Indiana State University
Terre Haute, IN 47809
Phone: 812.237.3939
Fax: 812.237.3964
Office Hours: SUMMER
Monday- Friday  8:00am - 4:30pm
CLOSED from 12:00pm - 1:00pm for lunch


social-icons-01.png social-icons-02.png social-icons-03.png social-icons-06.png