You are here

Frequently Asked Student Employment Questions

1. Where is Student Employment Programs located and when is the department open?

  • Student Employment Programs is located in the Career Center at 231 North 6th St, which is next to the Welcome Center and the Fountain. We are open 8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. Monday-Friday except for holidays.

2. I've never worked on campus before. What documents do I need?

  • You will need to bring original documentation that establishes identity and authorization to work in the U.S. (copies are prohibited except for birth certificates). Click here for a link of acceptable documents.
  • Please note: an ISU student ID will not work since we allow chosen names to be used instead of only legal names.

3. Can I begin working before I have my paperwork completed along with my original documents?

  • No. All forms must be completed and submitted to Student Employment Programs after accepting and prior to the start of a new job.

4. Can I fax or scan a copy of my employment verification documents?

  • No. We must have the original to make the copy. The only exception is that we can accept a certified copy of a birth certificate.

5. Will a U.S. Military ID be acceptable in place of a Social Security card?

  • Even though a U.S. Military ID has your Social Security Number on it, for form I-9 purposes and according to Federal regulations, a U.S. Military ID can only be used as a document that establishes identity, or a List B document. You will have to use an original Social Security card, an original birth certificate, or an original, unexpired passport, or any other document on the Form I-9 List of Acceptable Documents, as a document that establishes employment authorization.

6. I do not have my Social Security card here and I live far away. I do not want to have it sent here. What can I do?

  • You may provide another form of document for verification. Click here to view acceptable documents or you may contact the local Social Security Office to request a new Social Security card.

7. Does a debit card work for bank routing and account number verification?

  • No. It does not contain the bank account's routing or account number.

8. What forms do I need to complete once I acquire a job if I have never worked before at ISU?

  • Prior to starting work at ISU, you will need to complete the following (some will be in-person at Student Employment and some will be online via employment verification email):

    • Form I-9 (Federal – Employment Eligibility Verification)*
    • Student Employment Release of Information Form*
    • FERPA Statement of Understanding (Family Education Rights & Privacy Act)*
    • Data Security and Computer User Agreement*
    • Drug-Free Workplace Policy* o Employee Data Form* o Criminal Background Check Form (if applicable)*
    • Direct Deposit Authorization Form (you will need your bank routing and bank account number)  
    • W-4 (Federal Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate – International students do not complete this form)
    • WH-4 (Indiana Employee Withholding Exemption and County Status Certificate)

*Document needs to be completed BEFORE start date.

9. How do I find a job on campus?

  • All jobs are available online through our Applicant Tracking System (ATS) software. Follow the steps below to apply for a job on campus or off campus at an approved community service agency:

10. What is Federal Work Study?

11. How many hours can I work during the summer?

  • Students (citizens, permanent residents, and internationals) may work up to 28 hours per week during the summer and not be enrolled in summer classes as long as the student is enrolled in at least six (6) credit hours for the following fall semester or is entering grad school at ISU.

12. How many hours can I work during the spring and fall semester?

  • A student may work up to 20 hours per week during the fall and spring semesters.

13. Can I work more than 20 hours per week during the fall and spring semesters?

  • In an attempt to encourage students to concentrate on being full-time students and part-time employees, ISU encourages students on the Student Payroll to limit their work hours to 20 hours per week regardless of the number of active work assignments they have. International students are forbidden by Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to work over 20 hours per week from the first day of the fall semester to the last day of the spring semester. Students who have over 31 credit hours may request to work over 20 hours per week per the Hours Guidelines.

14. I am enrolled to attend ISU for the fall semester as a freshman. Can I work during the summer?

  • A freshman student enrolled in classes for the fall semester may work up to 28 hours per week during the summer prior to the fall semester.

15. Are there a certain number of credit hours I must take in order to work at ISU?

  • A student must be enrolled in six (6) credit hours during the fall and spring semesters in order to be eligible to work as a student at ISU. The only exception to this rule is when a student is enrolled in their last semester of studies prior to graduating and needs fewer than six (6) credit hours to graduate. If a student drops classes which would put them below six (6) credit hours during a semester, the student will be ineligible to work for the University unless, as stated above, the student is in their last semester of studies.

16. I will be graduating at the end of this semester; can I still work at my student job after graduation?

  • Upon graduation, a student may work up to two (2) weeks, or one full pay period, after graduation if the student is not pursuing graduate studies at ISU during the fall semester. International students are not allowed to work on campus beyond their graduation date. They should contact their immigration advisors for other employment options. If the student is enrolled in graduate studies for the fall semester, the student may continue working a summer student job up to 28 hours per week until fall classes begin.

17. How many on-campus jobs can I hold at ISU?

  • Students may work up to five (5) jobs at one time while maintaining the 20 (fall and spring)/28 (summer) hour limits.

18. I cannot have direct deposit so how can I get paid?

  • Direct deposit is mandatory. Visit the Payroll Department in Rankin Hall, 4th floor, Room 408, or call (812) 237-3533 to discuss this matter with the department.

19. How often do I get paid?

  • Students are paid bi-weekly on Fridays by direct deposit. You can view the student pay schedule here.

20. Why didn't I get paid last pay period?

  • There could be many reasons. If all paperwork was turned in to Student Employment Programs within a reasonable amount of time before a payroll cutoff deadline, visit the Payroll Department in Rankin Hall, 4th floor, Room 408, or call (812) 237-3533 to discuss this matter.

21. I have been working for quite a while. Why can't I clock in yet?

  • In order to clock in using the Kronos system, you must first ensure that your supervisor completed a Hiring Proposal and submitted it to Student Employment Programs. Once Payroll receives the Hiring Proposal (usually the next business working day) the information is entered into Banner, then after an overnight update a student should be able to clock in. Due to heavy input at the beginning of the fall and spring semesters, it is possible for Payroll to need more than one day to enter a student's pay information into Banner once a student's Hiring Proposal has been received. Have your supervisor call Payroll at (812) 237-3533 for any Kronos problems you may have.

22. I have completed the Online Student Employment Orientation but the system still shows I haven't completed it. What could be wrong?

  • Students must watch the entire video and score a minimum of 80% on the quiz to be considered complete. To verify your completion complete the following steps:

    • Select View Learning Plan
    • Scroll down until you see Student Employment Programs Orientation. There will be a picture of a sky with the phrase "Blue Skies Ahead". In the status column you will see a green circle if the orientation has been completed.
    • To print a certificate of completion for your supervisor, select More Actions, then select View Certification of Completion.


Do you have a question that wasn't included above? Email your question(s) to and we will be in touch.