Frequently Asked Questions
Will I need an ATP before an airline will hire me?
- No, but most airlines will require you to have the minimum amount of flight time to be eligible for a Restricted-Airline Transport Pilot Certificate (R-ATP).
Does Indiana State University offer an R-ATP Certification Program?
- Yes, students who complete our FAR 141 instrument rating and commercial pilot certificate training programs as well as fulfilling the Professional Aviation Flight Technology B.S. degree requirements will be eligible for an R-ATP.
How much flight time is required for an R-ATP?
- If you graduate with the Bachelor of Science degree from Indiana State University’s Professional Aviation Flight Technology Program with at least 60 credit hours from our FAA approved course list, you will need a minimum of 1000 hours total time to meet the requirements of FAR 61.160. Additionally, you would need 200 hours of cross-country time, 100 hours of night time, and 50 hours of flight time in the class of aircraft in which you are seeking your R-ATP (in most cases, multi-engine time). Please reference FAR 61.160(b), (f), and 61.159(a).
Where can I find the FAA approved Indiana State University Course List?
What if the number of credits for a specific course is different on the list than what is listed for that course on my transcript?
- Only the lesser of the two credits shown for that course in either source will count.
What if I "tested out" of a course and received credit, even though I never actually attended the Indiana State University course?
- If the course appears on your official transcript, then it is eligible to count towards the required 60 credit hours.
What if I don’t have 60 credit hours from the approved list?
- If you earned a Bachelor of Science degree from Indiana State University’s Professional Aviation Flight Technology Program with at least 30 credits from the approved course listing, you will need a minimum of 1250 hours total time to meet the requirements of FAR 61.160 for an R-ATP (in addition to the other flight time requirements of FAR 61.159 and 61.160).
Can I qualify for an R-ATP if I transferred into Indiana State University’s Professional Aviation Flight Technology Program from another university or aviation program?
- In some instances, yes. Please contact Aviation Department to review your specific situation.