Faculty Award for Community-Based Learning and Scholarship
The Faculty Award for Community-Based Learning and Scholarship is presented annually to one or more full-time faculty members at Indiana State University who have made serving the community an integral part of their academic goals and activities. The purpose of the award is to honor and encourage faculty members who have given generously of their time and energy to the community, through creation and promotion of community-based learning activities and through scholarship focused on community issues.
- The nominee must be a full-time faculty member at Indiana State University during both academic terms of the previous calendar year.
- The faculty member may be nominated by a member of the community or an Indiana State University faculty, student or staff member.
- The nominee will be notified of her/his candidacy for the award by the Center for Community Engagement. Nominees will then be asked to submit a list of faculty, community and student references and a dossier describing their recent service activity.
- The Center will request letters of support from the reference list provided by the nominee.
Nominees must provide evidence of exemplary community engagement in the form of teaching and scholarship during the period that they have served as an ISU faculty member. The strong candidate will demonstrate excellence in one or more of the following areas:
- Service and/or community-based learning: These include course-based experiences that promote learning through community service or through field analysis of community issues.
- Scholarship of teaching (as it relates to the above): Research that explores the effectiveness of community and service-based experiences.
- Scholarship of Engagement: Providing direct service to a nonprofit organization or K-12 school to assist in addressing a particular community issue.
- Community-based research. Research or creative works that investigate a particular community issue.
A screening committee composed of faculty, student and community representatives will review nominations and select the award recipient(s).
Please check back in early September for 2017 nomination forms and deadlines.