The Vigo County School Corporation and Center for Community Engagement are recruiting mentors for Franklin and Ouabache Elementary Schools. The focus of the mentor program is kindergarten through fifth grade. The intention of this mentor/mentee program is to encourage education, acknowledge mentee accomplishments, and promote the idea of going to college.
As a mentor you will:
· Visit your mentee at least twice a month
· Participate in a group luncheon once per month
· Provide your mentee with additional support and encouragement
· Provide Inspirational notes/cards
· Attend school special events when able
· Volunteer in the mentee classroom when available
· Promote staying in school and going to college
The program requires a one-year commitment to your mentee, although the mentor/mentee relationship can continue for many years.
All of these events can be used during Community Service Leave time (upon approval from your supervisor). The importance of this mentor relationship is to help children have positive experiences in school and focus on continuing their education in college.
Franklin and Ouabache Elementary Schools are a K-5 institutions. Franklin Elementary is located just off the Heritage Trail near the corner of 16th and Locust and Ouabache Elementary is located on Maple Avenue and 6th Street. Both schools are open from 8:00 a.m. to 2:40 p.m.
If interested in serving as a mentor, please apply at the following website: