The Ryves Neighborhood Partnership is growing! The Vigo County School Corporation and Center for Community Engagement are recruiting mentors for Franklin Elementary school. The focus will be K-4th graders. The intention of this mentor/mentee program is to encourage education, acknowledge mentee accomplishments, and promote the idea of going to college.
As a mentor you will:
- Visit and eat school lunch with your mentee once a month
- Participate in six afterschool events with your mentee throughout the school year
- 3-4:30 PM
- Activities will be provided
- Give your mentee additional support and encouragement
- Inspirational notes/cards
- Special events during the school year
- Volunteering in the mentee classroom
- Promote staying in school and going to college
The program requires a one-year commitment to the mentee, although the mentor/mentee relationship can continue for many years.
All of these events can be used during Community Service Leave time (upon approval from your supervisor). The importance of this mentor relationship is to help children have positive experiences in school and focus on continuing their education in college.
Mentors will be provided:
- Mentor training sessions (required)
- ISU giveaways for mentees when they have excelled
- Discussion starters during lunch meeting and special events
- Preparation and guidance regarding student’s developmental needs
- Vigo County School Corporation approved background check
- A sense of giving back to the community
Scheduled Afterschool Event Topics include:
- Arts-with Petra Nyendick from the Community School of the Arts
- Go Figure (math) - with Patty Butwin ISU alumna and creator of the Terre Haute Children’s Museum Go Figure! Program
- Flight –with Troy Allen from the College of Technology
- Reading – TBA
- Science – TBA
Franklin Elementary School is a K-5 school located just off the Heritage Trail near the corner of 16th and Locust Streets. The school day is from 8:00 a.m. to 2:40 p.m. Tina Horrall is the Principal.
If interested in serving as a mentor, please apply at the following website: