Health Center Activity Professional Course
Class starts on the first Monday of most months. There are some months when the course is not available. The $525 course (the book is about $50 additional) is considered a 90-hour class. It is all Internet through Indiana State University Center for Community Engagement. There is a 90 hour practicum required. Students generally finish in 10-13 weeks, depending upon their motivation. This constitutes the MEPAP Part 1 [Modular Education Program for Activity Professionals] of the road to certification. In most states, successful completion of this portion is sufficient to be considered an Activity Director. Upon successful completion of this course, persons wishing to pursue national certification are qualified to apply for the Activity Professional Certified credential with NCCAP.
Check your state Department of Health regulations for specific requirements for Activity Director qualifications. If your state recognizes courses endorsed by the National Certification Council for Activity Professionals (NCCAP), this Indiana State University course is an option to consider!
Activities Keep Me Going & Going Volume A Revised 2nd Edition by Mary E. Miller, Charles Peckham [ISBN 978-0-931990-08-3] It is about $50 This is the required textbook. Make sure to get the new version. It is the student's responsibility to have the book prior to the start of the course on the first Monday of the month.
Available direct from:
Indiana State University Barnes & Noble at (812) 232-BOOK or (812) 232-2665
Idyll Arbor 1-360-825-7797 (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Nasco 1-800-558-9595 (eNasco.com/senioractivities)
There are 2 other suggested books but these are optional for purchase and probably available only as used books. [Content of book will be referenced in the course.]
Green Winter by Elise McClay
Disguised by Pat Moore
Indiana State University
Center for Community Engagement
220 N. 7th St
Tirey Hall Room 133 B
Terre Haute, Indiana 47809
Melissa Chase 812-237-9040
The cost of the class is $525.
If you have any questions regarding the course please contact:
Jan Cockrell, M.A., CTRS, ACC 205 Bluebird Lane Terre Haute, IN 47803 JanCockrell1@msn.com 812-877-3067
Online Non-Credit Courses
Update your skills, discover a new talent, or chart a career path at your own pace and convenience with our new instructor-led and self-paced online non-credit courses. All you need to get started is Internet access, an e-mail address, and a Web browser.
Education to Go
Our instructor-facilitated online courses are informative, fun, convenient, and highly interactive. Instructors are famous for their ability to create warm and supportive communities of learners. It's no wonder that many long-lasting friendships have formed in the program's lively and intelligent discussion areas.
- Run for six weeks (with a two-week grace period at the end)
- Will begin a new section every month
- Are project-oriented and include lessons, quizzes, hands-on assignments, discussion areas, supplementary links, and more
- Can be completed entirely from your home or office at any time of the day or night
- Require Internet access, an email address, and a web browser
Courses are available in the following areas:
- Starting Your Own Business
- Grant Writing/Nonprofits
- Career Ideas
- Career Development
- Personal Enrichment
- Test Prep
- Digital Photography
- Art, History, Math & More
- Family & Friends
- Personal Finance
- Law & Legal Careers
- Health Care
- Computer Applications
- Web Design and Programming
Interested in one of these online courses? Here's how to get started:
1. Visit the On-line Instruction Center
2. Click on a subject area and browse the courses offered. Follow the instructions to enroll and pay for your course.
3. When your course starts, return to the On-line Instruction Center and click the My Classroom link. To begin your studies, simply log in with the name and password you provided during orientation.