The Landsbaum Center for Health Education provides educational facilities to second-year medical students from the Indiana University School of Medicine--Terre Haute, Indiana State University College of Health and Human Services students including nursing, and physicians and staff of Union Hospital Inc. Located on the Union Hospital campus, this educational center offers unique opportunities for health improvement and team learning through partnership and multidisciplinary education. The building houses Union Hospital's Richard G. Lugar Center for Rural Health, the West Central Indiana Area Health Education Center (AHEC), and portions of the Indiana University School of Medicine - Terre Haute, and Indiana State University's School of Nursing, part of the College of Health and Human Services.
The center is owned by Indiana University, Indiana State University, and Union Hospital. It brings to fruition the institutions' 30-year vision to train nurses, medical students, and family practice physicians in a facility that allows sharing of resources. It has grown to incorporate several health and human service occupations including social work, applied medicine and rehabilitation, health sciences, and kinesiology, recreation and sport. All three owners had outgrown their existing spaces for these programs, and modern facilities were necessary to continue to incorporate innovative technology into the programs and growth.
BSA LifeStructures designed the facility with each partner having an equal say throughout the process. The two-story 30,000-square-feet facility includes clinical examination rooms, classrooms, 150-seat lecture hall with two-way videoconferencing technology for distance learning, student study areas, and staff/faculty offices.
In 1999, the State Legislature provided $2.5 million with an appropriation to the Indiana University School of Medicine - Terre Haute. Union Hospital's Richard G. Lugar Center for Rural Health received $2.5 million in grant funding from the U.S. Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA). ISU contributed $1.25 million from funds received from the sale of its Nursing Clinical Education Building to Union Hospital. The center was named after Morris Landsbaum, a Terre Haute developer and supporter of educational and medical services who bequeathed approximately $2.7 million for construction and an endowment for continuous technology updates. A number of donors have provided additional funds for the facility and equipment. The total project cost was slightly more than $8 million.
Landsbaum Center for Health Education
1433 N. 6 1/2 Street
Terre Haute, IN 47807-1037
Fax: (812) 237-8223 email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org