You are here
Math Tutoring Lab
The Math Lab
"Our mission is to provide a judgment-free environment that encourages students to build their confidence and view learning math as positive and rewarding."
Currently, the Math Lab serves students in lower division math or quantitative literacy courses. These courses include: MATH025, MATH035, MATH102, MATH105, MATH112, MATH115, MATH116, MATH123, MATH129, MATH131, MATH132, MATH241, AHS240, and ENVI240.
- To provide a safe, productive work space that encourages engagement.
- To be an open and reliable resource where students feel comfortable seeking help from peers and professionals.
- To encourage the professional growth of all who work here.
Spring 2023 Math Lab Walk-In Assistance:
The Math Lab will offer walk-in hours at its location in Root Hall, room A009. Walk-in hours will adhere to ISU's COVID response, listed below. This is subject to change based upon updates to ISU's COVID response.
- A Math Lab team member will greet you upon arrival and direct you where you should sit to receive help for your course. It is expected that you work on math content only while visiting the lab.
- When visiting the lab, a team member will take your university ID number to sign you in/out for your time. You should have your ISU student ID card with you.
- You will also need to follow any current COVID policies as outlined by the University.
The walk-in hours are listed in the table below. These hours will apply through Study Week, excluding Spring Break. Please see the Math Lab's Instagram for Finals Week hours.
|Monday||10:00am - 4:00pm|
|Tuesday||11:00am - 4:00pm and 6:00pm - 8:00pm|
|Wednesday||10:00am - 4:00pm|
|Thursday||11:00am - 4:00pm and 6:00pm - 8:00pm|
|Friday||10:00am - 2:00pm|
|Sunday||2:00pm - 6:00pm|
* Hours of operation are listed in Eastern Time. The Math Lab is not open on Saturdays or during University Closures or days in which classes are not held (such as Fall Break and Spring Break) or the Sundays immediately before or immediately following closures (e.g. if closed Friday, it is not open the following Sunday; if closed Monday, it's not open the Sunday before).
Emergency Remote Days *
* This is not offered when in-person assistance is available.
On days in which the University recommends remote work (due to COVID, weather conditions, etc.), the Math Lab will offer virtual walk-in assistance via Zoom in place of in-person walk-in assistance. To utilize this resource on these days, please do the following.
- Log in to your ISU Zoom account. If you do not have one, you will need to create an ISU Zoom account.
- Navigate to the Math Lab's Zoom room.
After you log in, you will be asked to provide a team member with your university ID number to sign you in/out of your time, just as done with in-person walk-in hours
Online Tutoring For Fully Distance Students:
To schedule an appointment, please email ISU-MathLab@indstate.edu. You should include:
- Your Instructor Name, Course, and Section (for example, Jessica Markle, Math 241-301). You can find your section number listed with your course on Blackboard.
- Three times, or windows of time, that you are available for tutoring (for example, MW 12-1 PM EST, Weekdays after 2 PM EST) — Be sure to include your times in Eastern Time.
A math coach (tutor) trained in your content area will respond to your email to schedule a personal tutoring appointment with you. You will be provided a Zoom virtual meeting link with your scheduled appointment* as well as a “How-To” guide.
You should come prepared to your appointment with your class notes, material, and problems that you would like to ask specific questions about to help your understanding. You will have the ability to share your screen to show problems from a learning platform (i.e. Blackboard, MyMath/MyStatLab, Hawkes, Newton, Wiley, etc.) and also file share (to share an assignment document or pictures of your work). A math coach will be glad to help guide you through your problem solving to help you master the content!
* Showing for your scheduled appointment more than 10 minutes late will be recorded as a “no-show” for the appointment and you will need to reschedule. Please notify the coach that emailed you your appointment if you need to cancel.
Any questions may be directed to ISU-MathLab@indstate.edu. Please include (1) your first and last name and (2) the course you are taking and instructor. A Math Lab team member will reply to your email.