You are here

Complete the Following Tasks:

Before arriving at your orientation session, there are many items you must complete beforehand.

Step 1: Contact your program or department for academic advising and to register for classes.
Step 2: Take Placement Exams
  • If you are pursuing a degree in LLL, you are required to take the English as a Second Language (ESL) test before beginning classes at the university. You will be contacted with more information about this at your Sycamore email address.
  • You may also be interested in taking a non-native language placement test. Details regarding who should take a language test prior to international student orientation are also available at the University Testing page.
Step 3: Sign up for On-Campus Housing (if applicable)
  • While living on campus, you get to enjoy the convenience of being a short walk from classroom buildings, Cunningham Memorial Library, the Student Recreational Center, Dining halls, and Hulman Memorial Student Union. Check out Residential Life for information on residence halls and housing options and meal plans.
Step 4: Submit Required Immunization Records
  • As a new student, you are required by the State of Indiana Department of Health to complete and return health and immunization documents prior to attending New Student Orientation. The required forms are available online.
Step 5: Tuberculosis (TB) Testing
  • All international students are required by Indiana state law to undertake the Quantiferon-TB test in the United States. After your arrival, schedule an appointment with the UAP Clinic-ISU Health Center by calling (812) 237-3883.
Step 6: Obtain Adequate Health Insurance
  • In order to protect international students from the high costs of medical care in the United States, Indiana State recommends that all international students with F-1 or F-2 visas and their dependents be covered by a health insurance policy at all times during their stay in the U.S.
Step 7: Report to the Center for Global Engagement
  • When you arrive to the United States, please report your arrival using this Report your Arrival link. This is necessary in order for us to officially report your arrival to the Department of Homeland Security.
  • You will need PDF copies of the following documents and information:
    • Passport (you and your dependents, if applicable)
    • F-1 visa (you and your dependents’ F-2 visa, if applicable)
    • I-20 (you and your dependents, if applicable)
    • I-94. You will be able to access this document via this I-94 Form website.
    • Phone number in the U.S. If you don't have a U.S. phone number, you can pick up a SIM card in the Office of Admissions located in the Welcome Center.
    • Current address in Terre Haute (where the campus is located). Even if you will be staying temporarily with friends or family in temporary housing, you will have to provide this address. You will be able to provide your permanent address in Terre Haute once the semester has begun.
Step 8: What to bring to orientation check-in
  • Visit the Parking Services office to take your picture and receive your Sycamore ID card.
  • Deliver Official Transcripts and Degree Certificate for verification to the John W. Moore Welcome Center during business hours (8:00 am - 4:30 pm EST).
  • Order your textbooks online through Barnes & Noble ISU Bookstore. Choose the "Textbooks" link at the top of the page and use your class schedule to enter your department (ex. ENG), course number (ex. 101), and section number (ex. 001).
  • If you have a vehicle you will park on-campus, purchase a Parking Permit online and save $15!
  • Make sure you have a laptop. Consider purchasing a laptop that can be repaired on campus. Check your laptop's minimum specifications.
Optional Steps:
  • The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act restrict what information can be shared with your (the student’s) family members. If you would like your family to have access to your records, you must establish Proxy Access to your records.
  • Arrange Accommodations by contacting the Accessibility Resource Office for academic and housing support.