Driving and Transportation

​​Campus Transportation:

There is a free Campus Bus around campus and the downtown area; just show your student ID when boarding. For more information click HERE

​​Transportation within the City:

  • Terre Haute has a city bus that runs from the ISU campus to several areas in the city (including shopping areas, restaurants, etc.). Bus service is free for all ISU students. Busses run every day except Sunday's. Information on the bus service will be provided at http://www.terrehaute.in.gov/departments/transit-department.
  • Taxi Service is also available in the city. (Note- taxis are more expensive than in some other countries. A taxi ride of 10 or 15 minutes may cost up to $20).

​​Transportation from Terre Haute to other Cities:

  • Greyhound Bus Lines offers bus service from Terre Haute to other points within the U.S. and Canada. The Greyhound Bus Station is located about two miles south of the ISU campus.
  • There is no train service directly from Terre Haute; however, there are several Amtrak Train Stations located within one and half hours from the city.

Driving in Terre haute:

  • If you are planning on driving in the US, you may use a valid international driver's license for up to six months. Check with the appropriate motor vehicle bureau office in your country for information on how to obtain an international drivers license. You must obtain this international license in your country, before you arrive in the U.S. Driver licenses from other countries are not valid in Indiana.

    If you are staying in the US for six months or more and plan to drive, you will need to get an Indiana State Driver’s License. Information on the application process for this license can be found at: How to Get an Indiana Driver's License. You will need your passport, DS2019 or Social Security card, and two documents proving Indiana residence. More information about this process will be provided by CGE after you arrive. If you have an international driver’s license, you will be required to take a written test. If you have a driver’s license from another country, you will be required to take both a written and driving test. This process may take up to one to two months, so you should not plan on being able to get an Indiana driver's license immediately upon arrival.

  • Information on purchasing a car will also be given at the new student orientation. Those with either an international driver's license or U.S. driver's license may buy a car in Indiana. It is important to note, however, that you must have a social security card to register that car. Information on how to obtain a social security number will also be given at new student orientation. (If you are in the country on an F-1 visa, current Homeland Security regulations state that you must show evidence of employment when applying for a social security number.) 
  • If you decide to purchase a car, you will need to buy car insurance. Under Indiana law, registered vehicle owners must demonstrate "financial responsibility" in the event of a car accident by having a minimum amount of insurance for different kinds of accidents. Also, Indiana is an “at fault” state, which means that if you are in a car accident when another driver is at fault, you can file a claim under your own insurance policy, pursue a claim against the other driver’s insurance policy, and/or file a lawsuit against the other driver. For more information, visit the Indiana government website.