You are here
During Transfer State Orientation, students will gain useful insights about their academic major, meet with an advisor to finalize their class schedule for first semester courses, and learn about campus resources. This is also a great opportunity to meet other students and staff. All transfer students are required to attend State Orientation and will have the option to attend either a virtual program or an in-person program. A separate family orientation program is also available but is not required.
To complete Transfer State Orientation
1. Activate your Sycamore Login via the MyISU Student Portal.
- Your University ID Number can be found on your Letter of Admission.
- Forgot your password? Use the Reset Password option on the MyISU Portal login page.
2. Confirm your enrollment and Register for State Orientation in your New Student Dashboard.
All Transfer students, on-campus and distance, will complete Online Orientation. For students entering in summer and fall, Online Orientation will be available beginning in March. For students entering in spring, Online Orientation will be available beginning in September.
- We encourage your to log into your New Student Dashboard on a regular basis, as this is where you can view complete and incomplete items in your checklist of things to do before State Orientation.
- All students will be charged a non-refundable New Student fee on their student bill. This fee will be assessed on your first tuition bill. You do not need to pay it up front, but you are responsible for the fee once you complete your State Orientation experience.
New Student Orientation fees:
- New undergraduate summer/fall transfer student: $45
- New undergraduate spring transfer student: $20
- New international undergraduate transfer student: $45
3. Set up your university email.
- Your official form of communication with the University. Check it often!
- You can login to view it through your MyISU Portal or from the Indiana Sate homepage.
- We encourage you to check your Sycamore Email on a regular basis. The best way to do this is by adding your Sycamore email account to your phone. You can also access it by logging into your MyISU Portal and selecting the "Student Email" badge. Your Sycamore email is the official form of communication between you and the university, and all future information about State Orientation will be sent only to your Sycamore email.
Prior to your State Orientation date, you MUST complete the following items
Step 1: Take Math Placement within 7 days of registering for State Orientation.
Please note: This is required for all new students and will not be offered during the program. Students who have not taken their Math Placement prior will be placed in the lowest math course.
Step 2: Confirm your Housing Intention in your MyISU Portal. This is required for ALL students.
- Go to the ISU Housing Portal link in your MyISU portal to finish your process.
- Pick your housing community and select your roommate.
- If you are not planning to live on campus, you will still need to complete the intention and inform Residential Life of your plans to live off campus. You may do this by completeing the Housing Exemption process. Please email ResLife@indstate.edu with any questions you may have.
- You will choose your meal plan when completeing your Housing Intention. All on-campus students are required to have a meal plan. Commuter students can choose a commuter meal plan, if desired.
Step 3: Complete the FAFSA.
- Complete your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (ISU code 001807). The Office of Financial Aid can assist with any questions.
- Apply for veterans benefits with Veterans Services.
- If you attend a two-day State Orientation program in June, you will meet one-on-one with a Financial Aid Counselor. For one-day programs, you can schedule a separate in-person or virtual appointment with the Office of Student Financial Aid.
Step 4: Arrange Accommodations by contacting the Accessibility Resource Office for academic and housing support.
Transfer State Orientation
Click on the type of State Orientation for details and instructions.
Transfer State Orientation
All students must attend orientation to register for their first semester of classes. Program date options are located in your New Student Dashboard. Students will meet with an academic advisor to register for classes during State Orientation.
- Summer start transfer students must attend the summer start State Virtual Orientation in May.
- Transfer students starting in either spring or fall will have options to attend a one-day, on-campus program or a virtual program.
- All International students will attend a two-day State Orientation program in either January (spring start) or August (fall start). For step-by-step instructions, visit International Students.
- Check your University email for important information. All communication regarding State Orientation will only be sent to your Sycamore email. To help you stay connected, we have an email setup guide that can help you with putting your email on your phone so you don't miss a thing.
- Access and read your Transfer Degree Audit.
- Please make sure to register any family members or supporters to attend Family Orientation so they can also receive important information and updates regarding State Orientation.
About In-Person Transfer State Orientation
- Wear comfortable clothing and shoes for your State Orientation program. You will walk a lot!
- Please provide details in your NSO reservation if you or your guest need physical accommodations. Also prepare for any inclement weather (bring an umbrella, rain coat, etc). We also encourage you to bring a refillable water bottle to keep with you.
- We do not provide overnight accommodations for Transfer State Orientation programs.
- Students are required to attend ALL sessions of their State Orientation program in order to register for courses. Please plan accordingly.
- Your Transfer State Orientation confirmation emails will indicate the following:
- Date, time, and location of check-in
- Meals covered during programming.
- Where to park (free of charge)
- Be on Time. Please note that Indiana State University is in the Eastern Time Zone.
Sample Transfer State Orientation Schedule: 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Program Check-In
- Welcome and Program Overview:
Learn more about your schedule and expectations for the day.
- My Major, My Career:
Hear from your academic college about your major, academic expectations for students, and resources available to you to be successful in the classroom.
- Group Time with your Orientation Leader and other students:
Connect with other new students during this time.
Additional sessions will cover the following topics:
- Residential Life or Commuter Life
- Getting involved and student life
- Financial Aid
- Career Center
You’ll also meet with an academic advisor to schedule classes and get your student ID.
After Completing State Transfer Orientation
Before arriving on campus, all students must complete the following
Submit required documents:
- Submit your immunization records.
- Submit your final high school/college transcripts.
Review your financial aid offer and accept package:
- If chosen for financial aid verification, make sure to submit all documentation.
- Contact the Financial Aid office about questions regarding your offer.
- Contact the Bursar's Office for questions regarding how to pay your bill or setting up a payment plan.
Order your textbooks:
- You can order textbooks online through the Barnes & Noble ISU Bookstore. Choose the "Textbooks" link at the top of the page and use your class schedule to enter your department (ex. ENG), course number (ex. 101), and section number (ex. 001).
Complete these additional items:
- Purchase a Parking Permit online and save $15!
- Make sure you have a laptop.
- If you qualify for the Sycamore Technology Award, check your Sycamore email for information on picking it up at the start of the semester.
- Need a laptop? Consider purchasing a laptop that can be repaired on campus. Check your laptop's minimum specifications.