You are here
During State Start-Up, students will gain useful insights about their academic major, meet with an advisor to finalize their class schedule for first semester courses, and learn about campus resources. This is also a great opportunity to meet other students and staff. All transfer students are required to attend State Start-Up. A separate family orientation program is also available but is not required.
To register for a State Start-Up date
1. Activate your Sycamore Login via the MyISU Student Portal
- Your University ID Number can be found on your Letter of Admission.
- Now that your portal is activated, explore all the technology you can use by checking out the Sycamores Connected sessions.
- Forgot your password? Use the Reset Password option on the MyISU Portal login page.
2. Register for State Start-Up using your University Username and password
- Usernames are typically the first letter of your first name, with your last name, and possibly a digit. For example, Sycamore Sam's login may be ssam17. Sam's full email address would be email@example.com.
- Be sure to click "Submit" at the end to make sure your spot is saved. Confirmation and reminder emails will be sent to your University email account. If you don't see a confirmation email right away, check your spam folder for emails from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All students will be charged a non-refundable New Student fee on their student bill.
Prior to your State Start-Up date, you MUST complete the following items
Step 1:Take Math Placement before your State Start-Up date.Please note: This is required for all new students and will not be offered during the program. Students who have not taken their Math Placement prior will be placed in the lowest math course.
Step 2: Sign up for On-Campus Housing (if applicable).
- Submit an application by going to the 'My Spot' badge in your Student Portal
- Contact the Residential Life Office for questions regarding your housing.
Step 3: Watch the required videos in Blackboard at least three days prior to your State Start-Up date.You'll receive access to these videos 2 weeks before your State Start-Up date.
- Campus Involvement
- Living on Campus -or- Commuter Life
- Dining and Meal Plans at Indiana State
- Financial Aid
Step 4: Complete the FAFSA.
- Complete your Free Application for Federal Student Aid. The Office of Financial Aid can assist with any questions you may have.
- Apply for veterans benefits with Veterans Services.
Step 5: Arrange Accommodations for Disabilities with the Accessibility Resource Office (if applicable).
- Contact Accessibility Resource Office for academic support.
- Contact Residential Life for housing needs.
Attend your State Start-Up Session
To attend your virtual State Start-Up
Please note: State Start-Up is a virtual program and you do not need to come to campus to participate.
- Attend your session at the time & date you are registered (in your confirmation email).
- Check your Univeristy email for your Zoom link and other information.
- This information will be sent 3 days before your date when your steps from above are completed.
- Beforehand, you can access and read your Transfer Degree Audit.
- Need to know more about What to Expect?
Want to join us on campus?
State Connect is an optional, on-campus opportunity for students and families to come to campus the month of June. During State Connect, you will meet meet other new Sycamores in a small group setting, see inside a Residence Hall, take a tour of campus to see where your classes are, and explore an interest area based on your selection. Register for a State Connect session.
Before you Start Classes, complete the following
Submit required documents:
Review your financial aid offer and accept package
- If chosen for financial aid verification, make sure to submit all documentation.
- Contact the Financial Aid office about questions regarding your offer.
- Contact the Bursar's Office for questions regarding how to pay your bill or setting up a payment plan.
Order your textbooks
- You can order textbooks online through the Barnes & Noble ISU Bookstore. Choose the "Textbooks" link at the top of the page and use your class schedule to enter your department (ex. ENG), course number (ex. 101), and section number (ex. 001).
Complete these additional items:
- Submit photo for your Student ID card via Blackboard.
- Purchase a Parking Permit online and save $15!
- Make sure you have a laptop. Consider purchasing a laptop that can be repaired on campus. Check your laptop's minimum specifications.
Mark your calendar for State Welcome events!