You are here

Academic Advising


Academic Advising Overview

Necessity of Quality Advising for Student Success
National Academic Advising Association
Academic Advising at Indiana State
Center for Student Success

Foundational Studies

Placement Exams

Degree Requirements for the Major or Minor Advising Tools

MySAM Degree Audit Tool

Course Registration System & Policies

Registration System
Requisite Information
Registration Errors and Their Implications
Add/Drop Courses
Registrations Pins
Late Registration Fee
Change of Schedule Fee 

Transfer Students & Transfer Credits

Transfer Credits
Other Ways To Earn Transfer Credit


Graduation and Commencement
Application for Graduation
Latin Honors At Graduation
Commencement – Cap, Gown, and Invitations
Receiving the Diploma
Overall Graduation Requirements
Fees and Balances

Academic Policies

Academic Standing— Good Standing, Probation, and Dismissal
Course Repeat Policy
Incomplete Grade
Academic Renewal
Transcript Request
Withdrawal From The University

Important Policy Information for Advisors

Change of Majors/Minors/Catalog Year
Curricular Petitions
Equal Opportunity and Title IX Office
Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
Sycamore Graduation Guarantee
Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
Holds on Students’ Accounts

Costs & Aid

Enrollment Refunds
Financial Aid
State of Indiana Scholarship programs

Special Populations

Veterans Services
Honors Students
International Students
Study Abroad

Career Readiness

Academic College Information

Key Resources/Contacts

ISU Resources
Emergency Hygiene Supplies & Medical Needs
Food & Meals

Academic Advisor Handbook

Academic Advising Overview

Necessity of Quality Advising for Student Success

The Undergraduate Catalog states that Indiana State University is committed to providing quality advising. Click here for the full statement: Academic Advising. Advising is most effective when the advisor and the advisee have a professional relationship in which both share responsibility for a successful advising experience. It is essential that the advisor is fully competent in the understanding of each of the follow- ing, which will be covered in more detail later in this resource guide:

• Foundational Studies Program
• University Policies
• Degree Requirements for the Major & Minor

An integral part of the advisor/advisee relationship is preparation for the course registration process. Students should prepare in advance for meeting with the advisor by reviewing the MySAM worksheet and plan in the MyISU Portal. Advisors should update the MySAM plan in anticipation of the advisor/advisee meeting to reflect past courses completed and upcoming courses to complete.

National Academic Advising Association

There is a professional organization for academic advisors in higher education. The organization, NACADA, describes itself as a global community supporting academic advisors. NACADA supports student success efforts by conducting research, presenting best practices using theory and practice while priding itself on growing the field of academic advising.

NACADA has crafted a set of student learning outcomes for academic advising as well as a set of core values and competencies to guide the work of academic advisors. There are yearly regional and national conferences. There are many valuable resources available on their website linked here: NACADA

Academic Advising at Indiana State
Each new freshman entering ISU is assigned an advisor within the University College. During the first year, this advisor guides the student regarding the use of academic tools and prepares them for their specific academic curriculum. During the summer after their freshman year (assuming good standing and an adequate amount of credit hours have been completed), each student is transitioned into the respective college in which each major is housed.

The College of Arts and Sciences assigns a student to a faculty advisor within the student’s major. Transfer students are also assigned to a faculty advisor. Both types of students will continue with their faculty advisor through the remainder of their undergraduate program.

The College of Technology assigns each student to a professional advisor to guide the advisee through their second year. After the student reaches Junior 1 status, the college assigns the student to a faculty advisor and will stay with a faculty advisor through the remainder of their undergraduate degree. Distance students who are advised in the University College are assigned directly to a faculty advisor after being transitioned from the University College. Transfer students are assigned to a professional transfer advisor in COT for the first year at ISU. After that point, if the student has not reached Junior 2 status, a professional advisor will be assigned. Once reaching Junior 2 status after the first year at ISU, the student is assigned to a faculty advisor who will remain their advisor through the remainder of their undergraduate program.

The Bayh College of Education assigns each student to a professional advisor to work with through the remainder of their undergraduate program. Each transfer student is also assigned to a professional advisor.

The College of Health and Human Services assigns a student to a professional advisor or faculty advisor. The student will remain with this advisor throughout the remainder of their undergraduate program.

The Scott College of Business assigns each second year and all transfer students to a professional advisor. Upon completion of the COBA (College of Business Admission) requirements, the student is transitioned to a faculty advisor. The student will continue with this faculty advisor throughout the remainder of their undergraduate program.

Center for Student Success
The Center for Student Success (CSS) is dedicated to supporting students in strengthening their study skills, becoming independent learners, and advocating for themselves. Some of the services offered include tutoring, supplemental instruction, and disability services. These services are free-of-charge to students.

Back to the Top

Foundational Studies

Indiana State University is committed to providing students with a high quality education that will develop their intellectual abilities while providing them with the skills and knowledge base they will need to successfully navigate the complexities of the twenty-first century. Indiana State’s Foundational Studies Program is the cornerstone of this goal. The Foundational Studies curriculum seeks to create well rounded individuals; students therefore have the opportunity to take courses in science, history, literature, behavioral sciences, and the fine arts. The Foundational Studies Program also seeks to prepare students for active lives as citizens and includes courses on ethical behavior, social responsibility, and global perspectives. Together, the major and the Foundational Studies curriculum prepare students to be effective communicators, critical thinkers, and informed decision makers.

All Category Requirements

I. Freshman Composition* (must fulfill one requirement)

A. ENG 101 and 105 (If SAT Reading score below 28 or Evidence-Based Read/Write Score below 530; or ACT score below 20)
B. ENG 107 or 108 (If SAT Reading score of 28 or Evidence-Based Read/Write Score of 530 or above; or ACT score of 20 or higher)
C. Completion of GH 101 and 201 (If SAT Reading score of 35 or Evidence-Based Read/Write Score of 700 or above; or ACT English score of 29 or above)
D. ESL 103A, 103B and ENG 105 (for students in which English is not their first language and that did not graduate from a US high school)

II. Junior Composition (must fulfill one requirement by selecting from BEIT 336, or ENG 305 or 305T or 307 or 308 or 313, or HRD 340) requires 45 earned credit hours or more at time of registration.

III. Communication (must fulfill one requirement by selecting from COMM 101 or 202)

IV. Math & Quantitative Literacy* (must fulfill one requirement)

A. One Quantitative Literacy course, select from one of the following choices: ECON 101, or FIN 108, or MATH 102 or 115 or 116 or 129 or 131 or 241;
B. SAT Math score of 680 or above or an ACT Math score of 27 or above

V. Health and Wellness (must fulfill one requirement)

A. Select from AHS 111 or 201, PE 101 or SOC 471.
B. Completion of U.S. armed military services basic training (reserves or enlisted—does not include ROTC training).

VI. Laboratory Science* (must fulfill one requirement)

A. One Foundational Studies designated laboratory science course (select from BIO 112/112L, or CHEM 100/100L, or ENVI 110/110L, PHYS 101/101L or SCED 100/100L),
B. Any two laboratory science courses from two different science disciplines.

VII. Social and Behavioral Sciences*^ (must fulfill one requirement by selecting from AET 461, or ECON 100 or 346, EPSY 202 or 221, PSCI 130 or 305, or PSY 101 or SOC 101).

VIII. Literary Studies*^ (must fulfill one requirement by selecting from ENG 239 or 338 or 339 or 346, or LAT 215, or PHIL 321).

IX. Fine and Performing Arts^ (must fulfill one requirement by selecting from ART 151, or ARTE 390, or COMM 240, or ENG 219, or IAD 110, or MUS 150 or 233 or 236 or 333, or THTR 150 or 174).

X. Historical Studies* (must fulfill one requirement by selecting from HIST 201# or 202# or 213 or 313, or MUS 351).

XI. Global Perspective and Cultural Diversity* (must fulfill one requirement)

A. Global Perspective and Cultural Diversity Pathway: The Global Perspective and Cultural Diversity Pathway must be completed by students who have met the non-native language component in high school (two years in high school in a single non-native language, including American Sign Language, with a C- or better).
Select one course from the following: (AFRI 113 or 212 or 222, ENG 340, ENVI 130, ECON 347, EPSY 341, HIST 101 or 102, HRD 335, PSCI 105, SOC 110 or 465, or GNDR 301).
B. Non-Native Language Pathway: Students who have not met Indiana State University’s Non-Native Language requirement, will complete this requirement by fulfilling the Non-Native Language requirement:
Select two courses (6 credits) at ISU in a single or multiple non-native languages, (select from 101 and 101, or 101 and 102), or two courses (6 credits), from an accredited college or university, (in a single language, including American Sign Language).
C. International Student Pathway: International students (for students in which English is not their first language and that did not graduate from a US high school) must successfully complete the ESL curriculum (103A and B, or 103B; and completion of ENG 105) and must also complete one of the GPCD courses listed above.

XII. Ethics and Social Responsibility^ (must fulfill one requirement by selecting from AFRI 323, or ATTR 413, or BUS 204, or CIMT 475, or CNST 101, or CRIM 100, or ECON 103, or ENVI 442 or 462, or HIST 334, or GNDR 200, or MKTG 150, or MUS 418, or PHIL 201 or 303, or PKG 381, or PSCI 107).

XIII. Upper Division Integrative Electives^ (must fulfill one requirement) requires 45 earned credit hours or more at time of registration.

A. Select two upper-division, integrative electives, (Select from ACE 350, AET 330, AFRI 312 or 329, AHS 305, BUS 401, COUN 425, CRIM 355, ECON 302 or 331 or 353 or 355, ELED 457, ENG 335 or 484 or 486 or 487, ENVI 310 or 360 or 361 or 376 or 419 or 423 or 426 or 460, EPSY 401, HIST 320 or 336 or 345 or 350, LLL 350, MATH 492, MUS 300 or 329 or 350, NURS 486, PE 333, PHIL 313, PHYS 360, PSCI 479, PSY 350 or 485, SOC 302, SOWK 450 or 494, TMGT 421, GNDR 402 or 450);
B. One upper-division integrative elective from list above and one-course equivalent study abroad experience;
C. One upper-division integrative elective from list above and completion of second major, minor, certificate, or education degree outside of the Bayh College of Education;
D. One upper-division integrative elective from list above and service in the U.S. military, stationed outside of the United States;
E. Completion of the Honors College curriculum.
* It is possible to earn credit in this category by completing an Advanced Placement course and exam.
# HIST 201 and 202 are not currently offered at ISU but students could still earn credit for these courses either through AP, dual credit, or transfer from another university that will complete this category requirement.
^ Completion of the Honors Core Sequence (GH 101, 201, 301, and 401) will complete this category requirement.

Back to the Top

Placement Exams

Math Placement
Students are required to complete the Math Placement Test before attending orientation. There is no charge to complete the Math Placement, and it can be completed on-line in less than one hour. Significant changes to Quantitative Literacy and Math requirements are expected in the near future. This section will be updated when those changes go into effect.

Placement score SAT Math ACT Math Math Course
0-6     015
7-11 430 17 035 or 102*
12-20     105, 112, 115, 116, 241
21-30     122 or 131

*for students who need Math 102- Placement in 102 is primarily determined by SAT/ACT math scores. A SAT Math score of 470 or higher or an ACT Math score of 16 or higher qualifies the student to enroll in 102, You can find the Math Placement score on at students’ MYSAM at the bottom of the worksheet. For a student to retake the Math Placement, they must first receive permission from their academic advisor. Once permission is granted, the advisor must email and include the student’s name, student ID #, and permission for the retake. The student must retake the exam in the Testing Center.

Non-Native (Foreign) Language Placement Test

All ISU students who are exempt from taking a non-native language at ISU(4 high school courses in a single language, including American Sign Language, earning a grade of a C- or better), are required to complete the placement test to determine the most appropriate level of language course work if they wish to continue language study.

Back to the Top

Degree Requirements for the Major or Minor

The Undergraduate Catalog lists all degree requirements for all majors and minors.
Graduation GPA Requirements, By College and Major

College of Arts and Sciences

The following majors require the university standard 2.0 Cum GPA with the addition of requireing a 2.2 GPA in the major:
African & African American Studies
Art – all
Biology – all
Chemistry – all
Communication – all
Computer Science – all
Criminology & Criminal Justice
Cybercriminology & Security Studies
Environmental Geoscience
Fine Arts – all
General Studies
Geography & Sustainability
Intelligence Analysis
Legal Studies
Multidisciplinary Studies – all
Music Composition
Music Liberal Arts
Music with Merchandising or Business Administration concentrations
Music Performance – all
Physics – all
Political Science

All Teaching Majors as listed below require a 2.5 Cum GPA and a 2.5 in all major required coursework:

Art Education All Grade
English Teaching
Mathematics Teaching
Middle School Mathematics Teaching
Music Education – all
Science Education – all
Social Studies Education – all

All Language Studies majors require a Cum GPA of 2.5, a 2.5 in all major required coursework and s 2.75 in all departmental course work

Bayh College of Education

The following majors require a 2.5 Cum GPA and a 2.5 in all major/professional education course work:

Elementary Education
Special Education

The Speech Language Pathology major requires a 2.0 Cum GPA with a 2.5 required in all major course work

College of Health and Human Services

The following two majors require a 2.0 Cum GPA and a 2.2 in all major course work:

Applied Medicine
Athletic Training-Applied Medicine

The following majors require a 2.5 Cum GPA and a C or better in all major course work:

Health Services
Health Sciences – all
Public Health – all
The Dietetics major requires a 2.7 Cum GPA and a 2.7 in allmajor AHS course work
The Food Service Managment major requires a 2.0 Cum GPA and a 2.0 in all AHS course work
The following majors require a 2.0 Cum GPA and a C or better in all major course work:
Human Development and Family Studies
Sport Management
All Nursing majors require a 2.5 Cum GPA
The Physical Education All Grade major requires a 2.5 Cum GPA and a 2.5 in all major/professional education course work
The following majors require a 2.0 Cum GPA:
Physical Education - Exercise Science
Recreations & Sport managegement - all
Recreation Management & Youth Leadership - all

The Social Work major requires a 2.5 Cum GPA and a 2.5 in all major course work

Scott College of Business

The Accounting major requires a 2.25 Cum GPA and a 2.25 in all BUS & ECON courses and a 2.4 in all ACCT courses

The Business Education major requires a 2.5 Cum GPA and a 2.5 in all BEIT/professional eduation course work

The following majors require a 2.25 Cum GPA and a 2.25 in all BUS & ECON courses:

Business Adminsitration
Finance - all
Financial Services
Insurance & Risk Management
Management Information Systems
Marketing - all
Operations & Supply Chain Management

College of Technology

The following majors require a 2.0 Cum GPA and a 2.2 in all major/concentration course work:

Adult & Career Education
Architectural Engineering Technology

The following majors require a 2.0 Cum GPA:

Automation & Control Engineering Technology
Human Resource Development for Higher Education and Industry
Information Technology
Manufacturing Engineering Technology
Textiles Apparel and Merchandising
Packaging Engineering Technology
Unmanned Systems

The following majors require a 2.0 Cum GPA and a 2.0 in all major course work:

Automotive Engineering Technology
Aviation Management
Civil Engineering Technology
Computer Engineering Technology
Construction Management
Electronics Engineering Technology
Engineering Technology – all
Engineering Technology Management
Mechanical Engineering Technology
Professional Aviation Flight Technology

The Technology major requires a 2.5 Cum GPA and a 2.5 in all major course work

The Interior Architecture Design major requires a 2.2 Cum GPA and a 2.5 in all major course work

The Safety Management major reuqires a 2.25 Cum GPA and a 2.5 in all AHS and SFTY course work

The Technology 7 Engineering Education major requires a 2.25 Cum GPA and a 2.5 in all major/professional course work

Back to the Top

Advising Tools

Some advisors will have access to information in BANNER. This is usually restricted to University College advisors and professional advisors in the individual colleges. The most common forms used by advisors include:

• GPAPRXY FERPA or Proxy Access
• SOAHOLD Applying a hold to a student’s account
• SOADDRQ Address information for a student
• SFAREGQ Student’s class schedule
• SPATELE Phone information for a student

MySAM Degree Audit Tool

MySam is a web-based academic advising tool to help students and advisors monitor progress toward degree completion. It is not a substitute for academic advising, nor does it certify students for graduation. The student’s goal is to turn all requirements on the worksheet to green, which indicates all requirements are completed.
A student’s plan of study is created by an advisor and is a term-by-term recommended sequence of courses. Students who follow the plan and successfully complete their coursework can expect to graduate in four years. The GPA Calculators in MySam are also helpful tools to allow students to assess their expected and desired grade point average. Advisors can leave recommendations, suggestions, and other advice in the notes section.

MySam Access
MySam can be accessed through the ISU portal in the Faculty Self Service Badge and then Degree Planning Tools. Here is a direct link to MySam that does not require signing into the portal: MySam

MySam Training
Major or college specific MySAM training is available through each college’s associate dean’s office. Below are some quick MySAM tutorials.

MySAM videos: Videos include information on how to use the What-If feature and how to update MySam Plans.
MySAM videos: Videos include the components of a MySAM Plan and updating a Plan from a template.
MySAM Student Manual

MySAM Plan Abbreviations
Foundational Studies Placeholders: click on this link to find the courses that can fulfill these requirements:

• FS COMM – Communication
• FS ESR – Ethics & Social Responsibility
• FS FPA – Fine & Performing Arts
• FS GPCD – Global Perspectives & Cultural Diversity
• FS HIST – Historical Perspectives
• FS HLTH – Health & Wellness
• FS JRCMP – Junior Composition
• FS LS – Literary Studies
• FS LSC – Laboratory Sciences
• FS QLM – Quantitative Literacy & Math
• FS SBS – Social & Behavioral Sciences
• FS UDIE – Upper Division Integrative Elective

Major Placeholders:

• MAJR ELECG – General Elective
• MAJR ELECM – Major Specific Elective
• MAJR ELECU – Upper Division Major Elective
• MAJR EMTR – Major Concentration, Emphasis, or Track
• MAJR MINEL – Minor or Elective
• MAJR MNELU – Upper Division Minor Elective

Back to the Top

Course Registration System & Policies

Registration System

Students register, or add/drop classes, through their MyISU Portal using their University username and password. Click on the Student Self-Service badge and then click the Register (Add/Drop classes) link. Spring semester registration begins in November. Summer and fall registrations begin in April. The Timely Tips for Web Scheduling link includes helpful information for successful completion of course registration. The Dynamic Searchable Schedule is very helpful in searching and planning for registration. For more information on using the Dynamic Schedule of Classes, click here.

Requisite Information

Many courses have mandatory prerequisites or co-requisites listed in the academic catalog or Dynamic Searchable Schedule. Each student is responsible for meeting these requirements. After each registration and grading period, the University may review the completion of these requirements of registered students. The academic units have the authority to administratively drop a student from a course for which the student has not fulfilled the published prerequisites or co-requisites.

Registration Errors and Their Implications

A student may encounter a variety of error messages while registering for classes. The errors and means to resolve them are listed here. If you need additional help in resolving errors, contact ORR at (812) 237-2020.

Add/Drop Courses

Students should add and drop classes via their portal, Student Self Service. All students are highly encouraged to consult with their advisor prior to making changes to their class schedule. Add/drop periods are different for 8-week and 16-week courses. Term Dates can be found on the ORR website. It is important the student consider the liable hours when making schedule changes on multiple days. As liable hours can be confusing, it may be best to consult ORR before making schedule changes.

Registrations Pins

Freshmen, sophomores, student athletes, honor students (through the junior year) and students enrolling in their first semester must obtain an advisement PIN from their advisor prior to registration. Students on academic probation are also required to obtain a PIN. Although controversial, juniors and seniors are not required to obtain a PIN from an advisor. Initial PIN assignments are generated in October for Spring priority registration, and March for Summer and Fall priority registration. PIN assignments are generated based on a student’s completed earned hours and academic standing.

Late Registration Fee

A $100 Late Registration Fee will be assessed to students who initially register on or after the first day of the semester, regardless of the course start date. Registration is not allowed after the 5th day of the semester without written approval from the home college in extraordinary circumstances. Students should be encouraged to not register late. The late registration fee is not charged during the summer term.

Change of Schedule Fee

The $30 Change of Schedule Fee will be assessed when a student makes adjustments to their schedule, effective on the first start date of the course(s). The $30 fee covers all changes made in one calendar day, 12:00am to 11:59pm.

Back to the Top

Transfer Students & Transfer Credits

Transfer Credits

Indiana State University accepts transfer credits from regionally accredited colleges and universities within the United States and from selected schools located outside of the United States. The college of the primary major is responsible for analysis of the credits on incoming transfer students’ transcripts to determine appropriate articulations. Transfer students that have completed an associate degree at a regionally accredited college or university will be given block credit for completion of some of the FS requirements as listed in the table below. The table also shows what credits are given to students that have completed the State Transfer General Education Core (STGEC) requirements at another Indiana public college or university. Completion of an eligible A.S. or A.A. degree at a community college in Indiana may put a student on a Transfer Single Articulation Pathway (TSAP). Students follow the TSAP degree path to complete a comparable degree at a four-year institution without loss of credit hours.

Degree Waivers at ISU

Students completing an Associate’s Degree or the Indiana Statewide Transfer General Education Core (STGEC) are given a waiver of Foundational Studies requirements depending on the degree or core earned.

Official Transcripts indicating *degree awarded* must be submitted to receive Foundational Studies waivers.

  Statewide Transfer General Education Core STGEC Assoc. of Applied Science • Assoc. of General Studies(AAS or AGS or XAGS) STGEC + Assoc. of Applied Science(AAS… +STGEC) Assoc. of Arts • Assoc. of Science • Assoc. of Science & Arts(AA or AS or ASA or XASSOC) Assoc. of Arts • Assoc. of Science • Assoc. of Science & Arts(AA… + STGEC)
Freshman Composition
Junior Composition          
Quantitative Literacy/Math
Health and Wellness  
Laboratory Science
Social or Behavioral Science
Literary Studies  
Fine and Performing Arts  
Historical Studies  
Global Perspectives and Cultural Diversity  
Ethics and Social Responsibility    
Upper Division Integrative Electives   ✓ Students with an AAS or AGS or XAGS will still need to complete only the 2nd UDIE ✓ Students with an AAS or AGS or XAGS will still need to complete only the 2nd UDIE    
Official Transcripts indicating *degree awarded* must be submitted to receive Foundational Studies waivers.

Other Ways To Earn Transfer Credit

Advanced Placement
If a student takes an Advanced Placement course in high school, they could receive college credit for the course. Click on the link above for instructions and for a list of scores required to be eligible for transfer credits.

Dual Credit & College Challenge
Credit completed while in high school but offered as coursework from a regionally accredited college or university is accepted and evaluated just like transfer credit taken while enrolled as a college student at these colleges or universities. The student will need to know what university offered the credit and provide an official transcript from that university to receive the credit. College Challenge is the dual credit offered by ISU at local high schools. As explained fully in the link above, this credit goes directly on your ISU transcript when completed in your high school.

College-Level Examination Program (Clep)
While the University Testing Center no longer administers CLEP exams, you will receive credit for any exam completed elsewhere with the minimum scores listed in the link above.

Dantes Standardized Subject Tests (Dsst)
While the University Testing Center no longer administers DSST exams, you will receive credit for any exam completed elsewhere with the minimum scores listed in the link above.

Excelsior College – Credit By Exam
Indiana State University accepts credit by exam from Excelsior College.

Back to the Top


Graduation and Commencement

The university conducts commencement twice each year—May and December. Questions should be directed to (812) 237-4000. Direct students to these resources related to graduation.

Application for Graduation

Students should apply to graduate via their portal Student Self Service - Apply for Graduation – Undergraduate Students link, then select the graduation term and indicate whether or not they plan to attend commencement

Students should apply for graduation in the semester and year they wish to graduate, not the semester and year in which they wish to walk in the commencement ceremony.

The deadline to apply for Spring or Summer graduation is March 15 if they want to be included in the commencement program and to be considered for graduation awards. Students who apply to graduate in spring or summer are invited to the commencement ceremony held in May. Students who complete requirements for graduation in the summer term will be included in the Spring commencement ceremony as there is no summer commencement. If they apply for graduation during a summer term, they will automatically be eligible for inclusion in that Spring commencement ceremony but will need to meet the same March 15 deadline for application as the spring graduates.

The deadline to apply for Fall Commencement is October 15 if they want to be in the commencement program and to be considered for graduation awards. Students who apply to graduate in fall are invited to the commencement ceremony held in December.

Latin Honors At Graduation

Latin honors are recognized by Indiana State University for baccalaureate candidates at commencement and on diplomas and transcripts. Latin honor designations are based on the student’s cumulative honors index (not just the ISU cumulative grade point average):

Latin Honor Cumulative Honors Grade Point Index
Summa Cum Laude 3.90 or higher
Magna Cum Laude 3.70-3.89
Cum Laude 3.50-3.69

Commencement – Cap, Gown, and Invitations

Caps and gowns can be ordered online from the Barnes & Noble Bookstore or by calling (812) 232-2665.

Receiving the Diploma

Students will receive a diploma cover at the commencement ceremony. Their diploma will be mailed directly to the address on file with ISU 3-4 weeks after the ceremony. A free copy of their transcript will also be mailed to this address, and will arrive before their diploma.

Overall Graduation Requirements

• Any coursework earned at another institution must be on file in the Office of Admissions on or before the close of the semester your degree is to be awarded in.
• Baccalaureate candidates must have at least a 2.00 GPA and 120 earned semester hours, in addition to meeting all requirements for their program.
• Students have until the close of business on the last day of the term to apply to graduate however, if they have not met the March 15 deadline for Spring and Summer graduation or the October 15 deadline for Fall Graduation they will be eligible to receive the degree but their name will not appear in the commencement program and they will not be eligible for graduation awards.

Fees and Balances

All obligations to the university, such as library delinquencies; residence hall fees; breakage fees; etc., are to be met by the close of the semester the degree is to be awarded. Any hold on the ISU account will prevent the diploma from being delivered and any transcripts being awarded until it is resolved.

Back to the Top

Academic Policies

Academic Standing—Good Standing, Probation, and Dismissal

The cumulative grade point average (GPA) is used to determine the academic standing of students at the end of any semester and determines eligibility for continued enrollment. Some programs may have requirements above the minimum University retention standards. Academic Standing categories include Good Standing, Academic Probation, and Academic Dismissal. Students with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above are in Good Standing. Students with a cumulative GPA of 0.85 to 1.99 are on Academic Probation. While on probation, the student must meet a minimum term GPA or they will be academically dismissed.

Course Repeat Policy

Students may repeat an undergraduate course for grade point average (GPA) improvement. The highest grade becomes the official grade for the course. The remaining grades will remain on the student’s transcript but will not count in the GPA or total of credits. Graduate level courses cannot be repeated for GPA improvement. Please be advised that federal regulations may prohibit students from receiving financial aid for repeating coursework. Questions regarding the effects of course repeat on financial aid should be directed to the Office of Student Financial Aid at (800) 841-4744.

Incomplete Grade

An incomplete grade (IN) may be assigned only at the end of a semester or term to those students whose work is passing, but who have a small amount of work unfinished—examples might include a final examination, a paper, or a term project, which may be completed without further class attendance.
When a grade of IN is assigned, the professor will specify the work necessary to complete the course and receive a grade via Blackboard and Web grading. The deadline for completion and the grade to be assigned if the work is not completed by the specified date are entered in the final grading system. The date for completion will normally be within four weeks of the beginning of the next semester but no longer than one calendar year. The sole exception is for graduate research courses, which have no maximum deadline.
In the event that the instructor who assigned the IN is not on campus, the disposition of students’ eventual grade is the responsibility of the appropriate department chairperson.

Academic Renewal

Indiana State University provides Academic Renewal as an option to returning students who have been out of school for a significant period of time and whose previous academic performance is not indicative of their current academic capabilities. Academic Renewal recognizes that these students are often hampered by a previous, low grade point average. Academic Renewal provides the opportunity to use only the grades from classes taken after readmission in the computation of their Indiana State University grade point average. Students should review the conditions found on the Request for Undergraduate Academic Renewal form.

Transcript Request

An official Indiana State University transcript is a complete record of a student’s academic work at ISU. Holds will prevent the release of a transcript. Current students can request transcripts through the portal.

Withdrawal From The University

Official Withdrawal
It may be in a student’s best interest to withdraw from all classes. Grade assignment for the withdrawn classes will be based upon the date of withdrawal. If a student leaves without properly processing a withdrawal, the absences from class and from the campus will be justification for the grade of “F” to be assigned for the courses in which the student was enrolled. Withdrawing from all courses can have substantial impact on financial aid eligibility and should be made in consultation with an academic advisor and financial aid counselor.

Withdrawal Procedures
A student may withdraw from all courses through the Student Self Service portal. If a student wishes to withdraw from a previous/retroactive term, the student must complete a retroactive withdrawal form and submit it to the Office of Registration and Records for manual processing. Please note, the only circumstances in which a student may withdraw retroactively, are Health/Medical, Military, or Non-Attendance. For these, additional documentation is required. Questions concerning withdrawal from enrollment should be directed to the Office of Registration and Records. All procedures concerning a withdrawal are carefully explained in the Academic BLUEprint, published on-line each semester.

Residence Hall Contracts
Withdrawal from enrollment results in cancellation of the residence hall contract; however, students are responsible for contacting Residential Life if they are not planning to return to the University. Residence hall students should review the terms and conditions of their residence hall contract.

Refunds & Repayments Of Assistance
Students who withdraw from all of their classes before a semester is completed may be required to repay some or all of their financial aid, depending on date of withdrawal.

Dropping Part of the Student’s Schedule
Students who officially withdraw from the University by the last day to add (7th calendar day of a 16-week semester) will not have grades or courses assigned to their transcripts. After the last day to add classes and through the 11th week of classes, the grade of “W” will be given. Dates and deadlines for summer and shorter length classes vary based on the duration of the class. “W” grades are not included in calculation of the grade point average. Click here for more information about grade determination.

Back to the Top

Important Policy Information for Advisors

Change of Majors/Minors/Catalog Year

All major, minor or catalog year changes are now processed through a student’s portal on the student badge. There are times when a student cannot change a catalog year through the portal. At that time, the student needs to contact their Associate Dean’s Office for assistance with changing the catalog year.
Students must be in good standing to be allowed to change their major. Various colleges and programs have additional requirements as listed below. It is important to recognize that these GPAs do not reflect the major GPA needed to graduate or to be accepted into a professional program.

Bayh College of Education

• Elementary Education: 2.5
• Special Education: 2.5
• Speech Language Pathology: 2.75

College of Arts and Sciences

• All majors: 2.0

College of Health and Human Services

• GPA requirements for majors in the CHHS vary so it is best to consult with the department on the requirements of the intended major prior to requesting a change.

College of Technology

• All Majors: 2.0

Scott College of Business

• All Majors: 2.0

Curricular Petitions

Petitions need to be submitted at the beginning of each semester for course substitutions/waivers/etc. This will allow accurate preliminary graduation checks and will simplify the final graduation checkout. If the student does not receive a passing grade, the substitution will not be granted in MySAM.

College of Arts and Sciences
Petitions must be submitted through the advisor’s ISU portal. After logging into the portal, click on the Faculty Self-Service badge. Under the advisor services tab is a link for the curriculum petition (College of Arts and Sciences Use Only). Please follow that link and submit the information required.

Scott College of Business
The student or the advisor can submit petitions, but it must be signed by the advisor and the student. Forms are located in any department office or through the Undergraduate Student Services Office in the Scott College of Business.

College of Health and Human Services
Petitions can be initiated by the student or advisor but must be signed by the student and advisor. Supporting documentation may need to be provided (i.e., the copy of a syllabus from the course the student wants to substitute). The petition can be found here under resources.

College of Technology
The student should initiate the petition process with the advisor. After the advisor approves it, the petition will continue the process of approval. The student should either sign it or return it to the advisor with an email that substitutes for the signature. The link for a printable version of the petition can be found at: COT Petition Form

Bayh College of Education
The petition process can be initiated by the student or advisor. It is important that the student and advisor discuss the petition before submitting the form. The petition form can be found at: Bayh College of Ed Petition under the heading ‘How to’.

Equal Opportunity and Title IX Office

This office provides advice, education, and services which ensure the University’s compliance with federal, state, and University equal opportunity, affirmative action, non-discrimination, and civil rights laws, regulations, and policies. The Office works with faculty, staff, and students who believe they may have been subjected to prohibited harassment, discrimination, unfair or inequitable treatment in violation of the University’s policies. Specifically, the Office addresses the Policy Prohibiting Sexual Misconduct, Intimate Partner Violence, and Stalking and the Non-Discrimination Policy.

As Responsible Employees, advisors are required, when receiving information of a potential violation of Policy 922, to promptly report the incident to the Office of Equal Opportunity and Title IX. To report an incident complete the online form here.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

It is important to understand what student information you can and cannot disclose and to whom you can disclose the data. Students can allow selected individuals to view and discuss certain portions of their academic records by setting up proxy access. A proxy can be anyone the student selects. You may assist a student in setting up proxy access through their MyISU Portal: Proxy Access. To determine a proxy’s status regarding FERPA access (if you have BANNER access), you can view all the information on the BANNER screen: GPAPRXY. For more information about FERPA, view the FERPA tutorial.

Sycamore Graduation Guarantee

Indiana State University has a four-year graduation guarantee for students enrolling fall 2012 and later. If students fulfill the requirements and are not able to graduate in four years, the University will pay for the remaining tuition for degree completion. The Sycamore Graduation Guarantee was developed in response to passage of IN Legislation HEA 1348-2013. Advisors must update degree plans in MySam for students on the Graduation Guarantee before priority registration every semester. Details for how to update a student’s plan are available here. To take advantage of the guarantee, students must sign an application during their freshman year. This agreement applies to all degree programs of 128 or fewer semester hours.

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Students must make Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) towards earning a degree. Financial aid recipients are required to complete 67% of the classes originally attempted. If not, the student will forfeit eligibility for federal financial aid. It is critical the advisor consider SAP when discussing dropping a course(s) with a student and often appropriate to refer the student to OFA before dropping courses. This will allow a financial aid counselor to walk a student through the implications of dropping courses.

Holds on Students’ Accounts

A student can determine the holds on their account by going into the student portalStudent Self Service badge, and looking for a red X. The most common holds are listed below:

Hold Type Contact Office (Phone Number) Prohibits
A/R Transcript/Diploma Hold Account Analyst Area (3511) Transcript
Athletic Dept Reg Hold Athletic Studies Program (7692) Registration
Immunization Hold Office of Registration & Records (2020) Registration
Student Conduct/Integrity Student Judicial Programs (3800) Registration
Univ Collections Hold Account Analyst Area (3811) Registration & Grades
Univ Collect-Grades Account Analyst Area (3811) Grades

Back to the Top

Costs & Aid

During a Fall, Spring or Summer term, 12 credits is the minimum to be considered Full Time for enrollment and financial aid purposes. ISU uses a block billing system where students pay the same tuition fee for taking anywhere from 12-18 credits. Students may only take above 18 credits if approved by their academic college. Additional fees are applied. Students should be encouraged to average 15 credits per semester to complete a degree in a timely manner.

Enrollment Refunds

Refund calculations are based on the date of the drop/ withdrawal in the system and by published refund percentages.

Financial Aid

Although academic advisors are not trained finan- cial counselors, it is important to know how to guide students to resolve aid issues. Students can find the majority of their financial aid information through their portal. The portal will show students any missing documents needed and if there are deadlines that need to be met.
The FAFSA can be filed between October 1st and April 15th. It must be filed every year. If planned for in advance, Summer aid is sometimes available to students. There are various types of aid that students can receive: state, federal, loans, grants, scholarships and more. Short-term financial assistance of up to $400 may be available to students by applying for The Sycamore Emergency Loan. To receive financial aid, all students must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).

State of Indiana Scholarship programs

Evan Bayh 21st Century Scholarship and the Frank O’Bannon Grant are state programs meant to assist Indiana students. It is important that the student complete 30 credit hours every year (which can include summer enrollment) for renewal.

Back to the Top

Special Populations

Veterans Services

Indiana State University is an approved veteran’s benefits institution. For more information about resources available for Veterans, Military Students and Families, please click here.
The Veterans Resource Center, located within the John T. Myers Technology Center, offers an area for veterans to relax, complete homework, eat, and find helpful information and material.
Indiana State University is an approved veteran’s benefits institution and offers a variety of Veterans, Military Students and Family Resources.

The Veterans Resource Center, located within the John T. Myers Technology Center, offers an area for veterans to relax, complete homework, eat, and find helpful information and material.
• The Veterans Benefits Programs page lists the most widely used state and federal programs as well as instructions for enrollment verification at ISU.
• The National Guard Supplemental Grant (NGSG) is available for members of the Indiana Air and Army National Guard.
• The Yellow Ribbon Program offers instate tuition rates to all veterans with the exception of the LPN-BSN nursing program (9322BSN-D)
• ISU’s Military Activation Policy provides options regarding continued enrollment for students called active duty during a semester in which they are enrolled at Indiana State University.


Scholar athletes have additional requirements in regards to coursework and meeting NCAA requirements. The student and advisor should remain in close contact to ensure all requirements are met. The Academic Enrichment Center (AEC) staff are available to assist in answering questions related to scholar-athletes. Advisors should make thorough notes in MySAM regarding their conversations with students. Important to note: Scholar-athletes are:

1. Eligible to register for classes one registration period before the rest of their class.
2. Required to speak with AEC staff prior to changing degree plans.
3. Required to meet with AEC staff to have the Athletic Hold lifted prior to registration.

Honors Students

Students may be eligible to join the Honors College as an incoming freshman or at a later point in their academic career. In order to graduate from the Honors College, students must maintain a 3.25 cumulative grade point average, with a 3.0 grade point average in the Honors College, and complete the Honors core that includes the Honors thesis; and one of the three elective concentrations.
Important to note, students who complete the Honors College curriculum have satisfied the following Foundational Studies requirements: Social and Behavioral Science, Literary Studies, Fine and Performing Arts, Ethics and Social Responsibility, and Upper Division, Integrative Electives

International Students

The Center for Global Engagement (CGE) is the office on campus that issues I-20 and DS-2019 to F-1 students and J-1 exchange students and visiting scholars. It is the office that provides immigration advising to our international students and visiting scholars and is responsible for making sure that Indiana State University and its international students are complying with immigration rules, regulations, and laws set by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and the U.S. Department of State.
Sponsored students requesting letters for sponsors should always be referred to their home College’s Associate Dean’s Office. IMPORTANT: It is a violation of an international student’s immigration status to register for less than 12 credits or drop below 12 credit hours during fall and spring semesters.

English Placement Test
The English placement test (EPT), a required test that all international students have to take, is traditionally offered on the Monday in the week before the semester begins and is part of International Student Orientation. The results for the EPT determine which class the student should take:

1. ESL 103A
2. ESL 103B
3. ENG 105 or ENG 107.

If a student misses the EPT for any reason, that stu- dent should be enrolled into ESL 103A. On the first day of class in ESL 103A, students complete a diag- nostic essay to assess the students’ writing level.

Enrollment Options for International Students to Meet Full-time Status

Enrollment options for meeting full-time status


Enrollment options for meeting full- time status Permitted by Immigration Services
Distance education courses not requiring physical attendance for classes, exams, or other purposes integral to the completion of the course Sponsored Students: Only one (3 credit hours) course per semester can be completed. This is only permitted if an in class option is not available in upcoming or near future semesters. The distance course must be a major requirement. A letter must be submitted to the CGE by the college for approval before the student can register for the course.
Non-Sponsored Students: In a Fall/Spring semester, the student must be registered for at least 9 on-campus credits before enrolling in a distance course.
Some countries may deny a student degree equivalency if they have too many distance hours as a part of their degree.
Correspondence Course No—but can be taken in addition to required full-time credits (12 credits)
Courses taken as audit or not-for-credit No—but can be taken in addition to required full-time credits (12 credits)
Courses taken pass/fail
Concurrent enrollment at another campus or school Yes—CGE must be notified by the student to maintain accurate records. Sponsored students must complete a process to approve courses that are taken at other institutions.
Summer Enrollment Not monitored except to confirm enrollment of students admitted to a summer term. The exception is for a student who is graduating at the end of the summer term. The student cannot be only taking distance courses if they are in the United States.

International Students Course Load Reduction from CGE

Reductions in enrollment requiring advance CGE approval Documentation Required Immigration Services
Academic Difficulties (can only be used during the 1st year) Certification from academic advisor to confirm initial difficulty with language requirements, unfamiliarity with U.S. teaching methods, improper course level placement, imminent course failure, or similar academic justification Only one less-than-full-time reduction based on this category per degree level of study; undergraduates must maintain 9 credit hours.
Medical Reasons A letter from a licensed U.S. medical doctor Maximum 12 months aggregate. No minimum credit hour enrollment requirement.
Final Semester of Study Certification from academic advisor that remaining credit hours will satisfy all degree requirements Only one less-than-full-time reduction based on this category per degree level of study.
Complete course withdrawal due to compelling personal or academic reasons The student must meet with a DSO at the CGE and make request to be approved to withdraw from classes. This will be a request for a leave of absence not CLR   Must depart the U.S. within 15 days and may return 30 days in advance of next semester (with a new I-20).

International Students Leave of Absence
An international student might apply for a Leave of Absence only if the student has compiling reasons or if the leave is recommended by the student’s academic advisor. Any leave of absence must be approved by the student’s faculty advisor and a signature will be required for the proper documentation. International students cannot withdrawal without approval from the CGE office. If the withdrawal is an advisor recommendation, the advisor should email the CGE office and copy the student, letting the office know that he/she suggested and encouraged withdrawal. This will initiate the contact between the student and the CGE office.

International Students I-20 Extension
An international student may request an extension of his/ her I-20 to continue to study at ISU if the student can’t complete the degree by the expiration date on his/her I-20. A student can apply for an I-20 extension based on one of the followings: 1) Academic Reason or 2) Medical Reason.
If a student is applying for an extension based on Academic Reason, the following are valid reasons for the student to seek an extension: a) delay caused by a change of student’s major, b) delay caused by lost credits upon transfer to Indiana State University, c) delay caused by change of research topics, d) delay caused by unexpected research problems. Delays caused by academic probation or suspension are not acceptable reasons for program extension. Also poor academic performance is not in itself a permissible ground to extend a student’s stay.
When we review the student’s application for an I-20 extension, CGE DSOs rely on the information provided by the academic advisor to make a decision. Academic advisors should provide accurate information about the number of classes left for the student to complete his/her degree and the graduation date. When CGE grants an I-20 extension and issue a new I-20 the new expiration date will be the date proposed by the student’s academic advisor. To give the CGE DSOs enough time to process all the I-extension applications on-time, students are asked to submit their applications two months prior to expiration date on their I-20.
Extensions are usually only allowed for one extra semester after their intended graduation date. If a student needs an extension, it is advisable that the student leaves one required major course to be taken in the semester of the extension. Repeating courses during the extension semester is allowed, but one required course has to be left to complete in the semester of the extension.

Advisors must complete the I-20 extension form for it to be submitted to the CGE office. All extension applications need to be submitted in a timely manner to the CGE to be reviewed for approval. A student who fails to apply for an I-20 extension by the expiration date of his/her I-20 will not be eligible for an extension and he/she will be in violation of his/her immigration status. That student’s I-20 cannot be extended. There is no exception to this rule from Homeland Security.
The following are not valid reasons for I-20 extensions:

• To repeat a failed course, to repeat a course for a better grade, or to repeat a course for personal interest.
• To engage in research on or off-campus
• To finish pending coursework for an incomplete grade
• To engage in non-required CPT (internship, training)

International Student Internships/Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
All internships must go through the CGE office for approval. This is ultimately the student’s responsibility because the student has been made aware of the requirements of their F-1 visa status. International students are only allowed to complete an internship if the internship course is a requirement for all students in the program. If an internship is optional, the international student will not be approved by CGE. If it is a required internship, the student will need to receive Curricular Practical Training (CPT) approval through the CGE office prior to beginning the internship experience.

International Student Optional Practical Training (OPT)
OPT is permission to work in a job related to the student’s field of study. This authorization can be used for full-time summer work or part-time work (no more than 20 hours/ week) during the academic year. All or part of the time can be saved for full-time employment after graduation. Authorization can take as long as 90 days and the student cannot begin working until the work authorization has been received. This needs to be completed in the semester before the student graduates. If a student’s interim grades show that the student will not graduate, the OPT will be terminated. Students who have been authorized for one year or more of full time CPT are ineligible for OPT. Part-time CPT does not affect eligibility. If the student does not have placement within 90 days, their I-20 will be terminated.

International Students Changing Majors
If a student is not sponsored, that student can change their major using the same undergraduate process in their specific college. Sponsored students must go through extra steps before a change of major can be created or submitted. If you are unsure if your student is sponsored, please call the CGE for assistance.

• The student must request a letter through the college’s student services office. The letter will include information explaining the new major, how many credits have been earned, how many credits will apply to the new major and the expected graduation date. The letter needs to be given to the student and CGE.

• The student must upload the letter and a request for a change of major in the sponsor portal.
• Once approved, the student needs to submit the approval letter to the college’s student services office for major change approval.

Other Information for International Students
It is important that international students have an updated degree plan in MySAM as well as having detailed notes after advising appointments. If a student intentionally does not follow the degree plan, their financial guarantee can be suspended and they will be violation of the I-20 requirements.
Tutoring is available to the sponsored students and will be paid by the sponsor with prior authorization. The instructor of the course must contact the CGE to make them aware that the student is struggling and will need a tutor. The tutor cannot be an international student, it must be a domestic student. The tutor will not do the work for the student and should only be there to explain the information to the student. The tutor must submit statements to the CGE containing the amount of hours they have worked with the hourly wage that was agreed upon. For more information about this, please contact the CGE.

Study Abroad

Students must meet minimum standards to be eligible to study abroad. These include GPA, program specific requirements, and conduct requirements.

Pre-Departure Information
Students should carefully review all pre-departure information to assure they meet all requirements. NOTE: It is not recommend for a student to study abroad during their final semester of study. Timely transcript receipt and evaluation cannot be guaranteed.

Financial Aid While Studying Abroad
All financial aid assistance that a student receives at ISU may be used toward their study abroad experiences including loans, grants, and scholarships. Students should be encouraged to visit the Office of Financial Aid early in their planning process. Scholarships may also be available through the Scholarship Office for SA. See The Branch for more details.

Back to the Top

Career Readiness

Career readiness is the attainment and demonstration of requisite competencies that broadly prepare college graduates for a successful transition into the workplace. Incorporating career readiness into the curriculum is important to ISU in order to prepare productive citizens of the world. Click here to view the competencies.

Back to the Top

Academic College Information

After the student’s first year at Indiana State University, and the student has earned 24 credit hours and is in good academic standing, the student will be transitioned from a University College advisor to a professional advisor in the college and/or a faculty advisor in their academic department. Academic departments are housed in individual colleges.

College of Arts and Sciences
Dr. Christopher Olsen, Dean
Dr. Dennis Ballard, Associate Dean for Student Academic Services
Dr. Christopher Fisher, Associate Dean
Dr. Bassam Yousif, Associate Dean
College Offices:
Office of the Dean, Stalker Hall, room 200
Student Academic Affairs, Stalker Hall, room 209

Scott College of Business
Dr. Jack Maynard, Interim Dean
Dr. Kelly Wilkinson, Associate Dean
Judith Brewer, Student Services Director
College Office:
Federal Hall, room 124

Bayh College of Education
Dr. Janet Buckenmeyer, Dean
Dr. Linda Sperry, Associate Dean
Dean’s Office:
University Hall, room 109
Dr. Judy Sheese, Assistant Dean; Director, Education Student Services
College Office:
University Hall, room 115

College of Health and Human Services
Dr. Caroline Mallory, Dean
Dr. Lea Hall, Executive Director Nursing Programs
Dr. Whitney Nesser, Associate Dean for Academics
Dr. Peggy Weber, Associate Dean for Student and Community Relations
College Offices:
Office of the Dean, Health and Human Services Building (Arena), room 407
Student Services, Health and Human Services Building (Arena), room C-31

College of Technology
Dr. Neslihan Alp, Dean
Dr. Jim Smallwood, Associate Dean
Dean’s Office:
Technology Annex Building, room 103
Student Services: Myers Tech Center, room 101

University College
Dr. Linda Maule, Dean
Susan Johnson, Executive Director of Academic Advising
Dean’s Office:
Normal Hall, room 207

Honors College
Dr. Greg Bierly, Dean
College Office:
Pickerl Hall, room 110

Back to the Top

Key Resources/Contacts

ISU Resources

Sycamore Express
21st Century Scholars
Joshua Elmore, Programming Coordinator
Al Steele, ScholarCorps Student Support Specialist
Normal Hall, room 220
African American Cultural Center
Sumalayo Jackson, Interim Director
301 N. 8th Street
Athletic Academic Services
Michelle Stodden, Athletic Studies Director
Burford Hall, room 130F
Academic Enrichment Center
Bursar Operations
Parsons Hall, room 100
Campus Life/Student Activities
Freda Luers, Director of Campus Life
Hulman Memorial Student Union, room 515
Career Center
Tradara McLaurine, Executive Director
231 N. 6th Street
Center for Community Engagement
Heather Miklozek, Director
Tirey Hall, room 136A
Center for Student Success
Roberta Allen, Director
Normal Hall, 1st Floor
Commuter Services
John Gettemeyer, Program Coordinator
Welcome Center, room 217
Counseling Center
Kenneth Chew, Director
Gillum Hall, 2nd floor
Dining Services
Erickson Hall (218 N. 6th Street)
Disability and Student Support Services
Center for Student Success
Rita Worrall, Director
Normal Hall, room 126
Education Abroad
Study Abroad and Faculty Led Study Abroad
Kristi Barley, Program Director
Gillum Hall, room 217
Equal Opportunity and Title IX Office
Rankin Hall, room 426
Financial Aid
Tirey Hall, room 150
Health Center—UAP Clinic
567 N. 5th Street
Indiana State Online
Tirey Hall, Room 133A
Information Technology Help Desk
Stalker Hall, room 009
International Students/Center for Global Engagement
Chris McGrew, Director
Gillum Hall, room 240
ISU Writing Center
Ellie Pounds and Robin Voll, Coordinators
Cunningham Library, 2nd floor southwest corner
Math Tutoring Lab
Jessika Markle, Coordinator
Root Hall, room A009
Multicultural Services and Programs
Elonda Ervin, Executive Director
HMSU, 7th floor
Psychology Clinic
Kathy Ocampo, Director
424 N. 7th St (Root Hall)
Public Safety
210 N. 6th St
Registrar/Registration and Records
April Hay, Registrar
Parsons Hall, room 009
Residential Life
Amanda Knerr, Executive Director
Erickson Hall
Student Employment
Career Center
Student Conduct and Integrity
Craig Enyeart, Director
HMSU, room 821
Sycamores Care
Normal Hall, room 134A
Veterans Services
Welcome Center, room 118
Women’s Resource Center/Victim Advocate
Amanda Hobson
HMSU, room 808


Career Center—ISU Campus
(free professional clothing)
During walk-in hours
Goodwill Industries
600 S. 3rd Street Terre Haute
2702 S 3rd Street Terre Haute
2645 Wabash Ave Terre Haute

Emergency Hygiene Supplies & Medical Needs

Dean of Students Office—ISU Campus
Hulman Memorial Student Union, Room 808
(Consider doing a Sycamores Care referral for Emergency Loans up to $400
Wabash Valley Health Center
Medical, Dental and Mental Health appointments
1436 Locust Street Terre Haute
UAP Clinic—ISU Campus
567 N. 5th Street
Mollie Wheat Memorial Clinic
Landsbaum Center for Health Education
1433 N. 6½ Street Terre Haute
Hours: Saturdays: 8 am – Noon
Walk-in or by appointment

Food & Meals

Sycamore Pantry—ISU Campus
ISU Student Recreation Center, Suite 131
601 N. 6th Street
Mon-Fri, hours vary
United Campus Ministries
321 N. 7th Street Terre Haute
Hours: Monday – Friday: 10 am – 3 pm
Bring valid college ID card
Basket of Love Food Pantry
2414 8th Ave. Terre Haute
2nd Tuesdays (2-4 pm)
Catholic Charities
1356 Locust St Terre Haute
1801 Poplar St. Terre Haute
812-235-3424 /812-232-1447
Distributed only on 3rd Saturday of Month
First Church of the Nazarene
801 Ft Harrison Rd Terre Haute
3rd Friday of the month, 9 am – 12 pm
King’s Harvest Foursquare—Higher Hope
1801 Harding Ave Terre Haute
2nd and last Thursday, 4-5:30 pm
The Life Center
3000 College Ave Terre Haute
2nd and 4th Thursday, 4-6 pm
Mother Hubbard’s Cupboard
14th and Chestnut Terre Haute
Tuesdays, 9 am – Noon
New Life Fellowship
7849 Wabash Ave Seelyville
3rd Thursday, 6-8 pm
Potts Food Pantry
1207 E. Springhill Dr. Terre Haute
Call for availability
Providence Pantry
707 National Ave West Terre Haute
Thursdays, 8-10:30 am
The Salvation Army
234 S. 8th Street Terre Haute
Bring Social Security card, Picture ID, SNAP
benefits card (if applicable), proof of income
St. Joseph University Parish
113 S. 5th Street Terre Haute
Monday and Friday, 1:30-3:30 pm
Table of the Good Shepherd
1401 Barbour Ave Terre Haute
3rd Tuesday, 9:30 am – 12:30 pm
Times of Refreshing Church
1610 N 25th Street Terre Haute
1st and 3rd Wednesday, 12-2 pm
Victory Christian Center
9400 US Hwy 40 Seelyville
3rd and 4th Wednesday, 12-2 pm
Bethany House
1402 Locust Street Terre Haute
Meals served Sat – Sun (11:30 am – 1:30 pm)
Foursquare Church
800 N 13th Street Terre Haute
Meals served Sundays (9-9:45 am & 12:15-1:30 pm)
Saint Benedict Church
111 S 9th St. Terre Haute
Meals served M-F: 11:30 am – 12:30 pm
Saint Patrick Church
1807 Poplar Street Terre Haute
Meals served M-F: 11:15 am – 12:15 pm

Back to the Top