Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program


You may be eligible for the Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance (DEA/Chapter 35) Program if you meet the following:

  • You are the son, daughter, or spouse of a veteran who is permanently and totally disabled or died as a result of military service.
  • If you are a son or daughter, you must be between the ages of 18 and 26 (some exceptions apply); marriage does not bar benefits.
  • You must be degree seeking (have a declared major) or be an Open Preference student, not to exceed two semesters. (Note: For certificates, endorsements, and licensure programs, check with the VA for approval.)
  • For details and exceptions, visit VA Survivors and Dependents Assistance.
  • If you think you may be eligible for this benefit, you should apply. Instructions are provided below. Upon receipt of your application, Veterans Affairs will review your file and notify you regarding your eligibility, typically within 8-10 weeks.

Note: In addition to applying for veterans educational benefits, our office recommends that all ISU students completing degrees (or pursing required teacher certifications), complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) by March 10 each year to ensure that they will be considered for all possible types of funding, including state and federal financial aid, loans, grants, and work-study programs.


This program provides up to 45 months of education benefits to eligible applicants.

How To Apply for Education Benefits

For instructions and on-line application, go to:

Enrollment Certification

In order to receive veterans educational benefits, students must certify enrollment.

  • Certify with ISU (each semester): ISU form
  • Certify with VA: not currently required
Report Change in Major/Program

Students must report a change in major or program by contacting the Office of Registration and Records at (812) 237-2020. Failure to report a change in major or program may result in delay or loss of payment of educational benefits.


For information, assistance—or to schedule an appointment, contact:

Veterans Services Coordinator
Indiana State University
Welcome Center, room 118
318 North Sixth Street
Terre Haute, Indiana

To help us serve you better, please indicate that you are interested in assistance with veterans benefits when you contact our office.