Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve


You may be eligible for the Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR/Chapter 1606) if you meet the following:

  • You must be in a Guard or Reserve unit with a 6 year obligation.
  • You must complete Initial Active Duty Training.
  • You must maintain a Selective Reserve Status and remain in good status. (Note: If you no longer maintain selective reserve status, you may be eligible if you were a member of a reserve component who served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001 for a period of 90 days or more under a contingency operation.)
  • You must be degree seeking (have a declared major), or be an Open Preference student, not to exceed two semesters. (Note: For certificates, endorsements, and licensure programs, check with the VA for approval.)
  • For details and exceptions, visit Veterans Benefits or call 1-888-442-4551.
  • In addition to Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR) benefits, Army and Air National Guard members may eligible for the National Guard Supplemental Grant, which pays for tuition. This benefit is provided by the state of Indiana and is in addition to benefits provided by the Veterans Administration. For eligibility requirements and instructions, visit the Indiana Commission for Higher Education Division of Student Financial Aid.

Note: In addition to applying for veterans educational benefits, our office recommends that all ISU students completing degrees (or pursing required teacher certifications), complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) by March 10 each year to ensure that they will be considered for all possible types of funding, including state and federal financial aid, loans, grants, and work-study programs.


This program provides up to 36 months of education benefits to eligible applicants. Eligibility is determined by the Selected Reserve components. Veterans Affairs makes the payments for this program.

How To Apply for Education Benefits

For instructions and on-line application, go to:

Enrollment Certification

In order to receive veterans educational benefits, students must certify enrollment.

  • Certify with ISU (each semester): ISU form
  • Certify with VA (each month): VA form
Report Change in Major/Program

Students must report a change in major or program by contacting the Office of Registration and Records at (812) 237-2020. Failure to report a change in major or program may result in delay or loss of payment of educational benefits.


For information, assistance—or to schedule an appointment, contact:

Veterans Services Coordinator
Indiana State University
Welcome Center, room 118
318 North Sixth Street
Terre Haute, Indiana

To help us serve you better, please indicate that you are interested in assistance with veterans benefits when you contact our office.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at