Office of Multicultural Services and Programs (MSP)
Opened October 1st, 2015, under the leadership of Dr. Willie Banks, Jr., Vice President for Student Affairs, the Office of Multicultural Services and Programs (MSP) was created to advocate across various vectors to grow Indiana State University into a model of multicultural excellence for all who learn, live, and work on campus. MSP strives to build a climate of inclusion and community and aim to enhance intercultural competency through workshops, services, resources, programs, and influencing ISU policies and practices. We work actively with and for all Indiana State University students.
What does Multicultural really mean?
Multiculturalism involves an understanding, empathy, and appreciation of others language, religion, sexuality, age, mental or physical abilities, experiences, etc. To put simply, let’s just say multiculturalism is the appreciation of other people. This includes things about the person that are not apparent – aspects of the person that you cannot see. When meeting someone, must take into consideration that every person comes with different abilities, values, norms, goals, and experiences. We are not all alike and we should appreciate those differences. We may share the same aspects of a particular culture (i.e. language, religion, gender, political affiliation, national origin); however, no one has shared the same experiences or influences throughout their lives.
The Office of Multicultural Services and Programs will focus on strategies that will increase the retention and graduation rates of our students.
Our goals are simple:
- Ally with and support students in marginalized communities
- Assist in the retention and graduation of multicultural students by fostering a sense of community through intellectual, social, and cultural exchange
- Provide and promote safe spaces for challenging dialogue about students’ experiences and concerns
- Provide services and programs that support multicultural students in realizing their academic, professional, and personal potential
To assist in accomplishing the goals set for MSP, several resource centers were created.
- La Casita Resource Center
- International Student Resource Center
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Resource Center
National Heritage Months (attached)
Student Diversity Histories (change the current name from Diversity through the Ages)
Welcome to ISU Guidebook – Coming Soon!
Hulman Memorial Student Union, Room 808A
Indiana State University
Terre Haute, IN 47809
8:00 AM - 4:30 PM