You are here
Language Studies Certificate
Department of Languages, Literatures, and Linguistics
Language Studies Certificate (awardable Fall 2020)
Requirements: 101, 102, 201 and 202 in a single world language offered in the Department of Languages, Literatures, and Linguistics.
- Students completing the 202 level with a B or better typically reach intermidiate proficiency. This level of proficiancy allows students to be immeresed in a culture, do activities completely in the language, speak about current events, express opinions, and discuss areas of interest using specific vocabulary.
- At the end of all 202 courses, students take a proficiency exam. they receive their scores on a certificate that can be used in the student's professional portfolio to demonstrate language competence to employers
- Students can take the clases before fall 2020 and be awarded the Language Studies Certificate as of graduation in December 2020.
- Students with high school background in a language should take the placement tetst to determine what courses they should begin with. Students who test into 102, 201, 202 or higher can receive back credit for previous courses. Please note: the placement test IS NOT a test out option. Students must complete the course they test into in order to receive back credit.
- 201 and 202 courses meet the Global Perspectives and Cultural Diversity learning outcomes of Foundational Studies.
- Students transferring credit must take at least on language cours at ISU in order to receive the certificate.
- The Certificate is only avaliable in the languages that are offered up to the 200-level (French, German, Latin, Spanish). Plans are in the works to include Japanese and Korean, but please check with the department before advising students with in these languages.