Frequently Asked Questions

Academic Dismissal

  • The Academic Renewal procedure begins in your school. Five or more years must have passed between your last term of enrollment at ISU and the current term of readmission.

  • The student must be referred to his/her academic dean to request permission to be allowed to attend.

Class Information

  • You may either drop or add classes via the web at To access the portal, a student must enter her/his University username and password.

    Freshmen, sophomores, and students in their first semester will need to consult with their advisor to obtain an advising PIN prior to making scheduling changes. Students who are not in good academic standing will also need to obtain an advising PIN. The advising PIN will need to be entered in addition to the University username and password.

    Graduate students who are in good academic standing or undergraduates that have 63 or more earned hours do not need advisement PINs to register. Students who are not assigned an advisement PIN will not be prompted for an advisement PIN during the online process. Undergraduate non-degree students and graduate unclassified students will not be assigned an advisement PIN, regardless of their GPA or earned hours.

    For detailed directions on how to add or drop a class follow these instructions.

    All students are encouraged to consult with their advisor prior to making changes to their class schedule.


  • The student must obtain a registration override from the department of the corresponding course. The department will insert an override for the course/courses that are showing error messages when you try to register for them online. Each department can only provide the override for a course within their department. (I.E. Math department cannot submit an override for a Theater class)

  • If a class is cancelled by a department, the student is automatically dropped from the class and the drop/add fee is waived. The student is sent a letter indicating that class has been cancelled so that s/he may register for another course.

  • Click here for detailed information on initiating an official withdrawal from the University during a semester/term.

  • Students may audit a class only if it is a lecture and with the consent of the instructor and department chairperson. Audit forms are available in the Office of the Registrar. They may be submitted the first day of classes. The audit fee is $5.00 per credit hour.

  • You may print your class schedule by accessing the MyISU Portal and clicking on Student Schedule by Day and Time. You may then print a copy of your schedule.

  • The Foundational Studies classes and what requirements they meet are listed via the web with the Schedule of Classes under Registration Information. The student should always discuss what classes are needed with their advisor.

    MySam degree audit details all requirements necessary to complete a degree at ISU, including:

    You may access your MySAM at any time via the MyISU Portal.

    • Undergraduate students must be enrolled in 12 or more credit hours to be considered full-time. Graduate students must be enrolled in 9 or more credit hours to be considered full-time.
  • The current undergraduate and graduate catalogs are accessible via the web at

  • There are 2 ways you can order your books online.

    Option I

    • Log into the MyISU Cloud
    • Click on the MyISU badge
    • On the ‘Homepage’ tab, select ‘My Banner Self-Service Links’
    • Select ‘Student and Financial Aid’
    • Select ‘Registration’
    • Select ‘Order your Text Books’
    • If prompted, select a term
    • Select Order


    Option II

    • Go to the ISU Bookstore website
    • Select Term
    • Select the Department
    • Select the Section
    • Select Add Course
    • Continue the steps above if you have more text books to order
    • Once you are finished adding courses, select ‘View Textbook List’
    • Review orders then select ‘Add Selected Items to Shopping Cart’
    • Select ‘Checkout’


Dean's List

  • Full-time (12 hours) degree-seeking undergraduate students are listed on the Dean's List if their semester index is 3.50 or higher.

  • The letter is issued by the Academic Dean's office from a list that is created in the Office of the Registrar.


  • Once the hold has been cleared in the Banner system, the diploma will be ordered. The diplomas are ordered from an outside vendor; therefore, it will take approximately 2-3 weeks for the student to receive his/her diploma.

  • Diplomas usually arrive via mail to the student within 4-8 weeks after the close of the graduation term.

  • Yes, you can order a copy of your diploma through the online ordering system. Many alumni will not have access to their MyISU Portal account, and will need to follow the button to the right to create an account on the Ordering Portal. The initial process of creating an account on that system could take up to two business days, as the Office of the Registrar will need to validate your account information with our official records. Once your account is established, you can complete your order. There is a fee of $25.00 per replacement diploma. There will be a $5.00 notary fee per diploma notarized. Please note in most cases it is not necessary to have your diploma notarized. This service is particularly useful for alumni who need to have their diplomas appostilled by the Secretary of State when attempting to verify a degree for overseas employment. Requesting that your diploma be notarized will delay it being received, as OR must have it delivered to us to be notarized, and then delivered to the specified address. Please allow 2-3 weeks to receive your replacement diploma through the mail. You can check the status of your order at

Directory Information

  • Students may change their permanent or campus address and/or phone number by contacting the Office of the Registrar at (812) 237-2020. They can also change their address/phone number via the web, by logging into MyISU , then selecting the ‘My Banner Self Service Links’ and then selecting ‘Personal Information’>. Students employed by the University must also update their address/ phone number in the Payroll Office to insure receiving W-2's and paychecks.

  • Students who are currently registered may declare information, such as addresses and phone numbers, confidential by completing a Confidentiality Form in the Office of the Registrar.

Enrollment Verification

  • Beginning August 20, 2007, you can print enrollment verification certificates, get information on your student loans and more by logging onto the MyISU portal and clicking on the Enrollment Verification link under the Registration and Records quick link on the Student Tab. You can access these services securely via the web 24/7. Click here for more information regarding this service.

    *Note: International Students without a Social Security Number who need enrollment verification certificates must contact our office by calling (812) 237-2020 or come into the Office of the Registrar to have an Enrollment Verification process for you.


  • The student should first consult with the instructor for the class in question. If the result is not satisfactory, he/she should consult with the Dean of the school of their major.

  • Once the change of grade has been received in the Office of the Registrar with the proper signatures, it takes 2-3 working days to process.

  • Course work may be viewed via the web by accessing the MyISU Portal and copies may be printed as desired.

  • You may seek to course repeat those courses in which you received failing grades or low passing grades to raise your GPA.

  • Instructors of record can find final grades assigned to a student by using the change of grade link within the portal. Once you log into your portal, select the Faculty Services tab. On the Reporting Services Tab, under Grades, you will find the change of grade link. Once you select the term, you can choose the course and student you want to view.


  • A completed application for graduation is a requirement for graduation. If you will complete degree requirements within 1 calendar year and have at least 75 hours of earned credit for a baccalaureate degree or 32 hours of earned credit for an associate degree, you should apply now. The application for graduation is now online and we are encouraging students to use this method of applying. For undergraduate first-time applicants, students can access the online application through the Indiana State University website.


    • Access your Sycamore login screen
    • Select the Student tab
    • Select the Apply for Graduation - Undergraduates Only option


    If you have any questions or need additional information regarding the online application, please contact the Office of the Registrar at (812)237-2020.


  • For a description of holds go to Hold Information

Majors and Minors

  • Students who are currently enrolled should begin the process of changing their major in the office of the academic dean of the school in which the intended major is housed. Newly admitted students should contact the Office of Admissions.

  • The student should consult with their advisor concerning requirements for their major. They may also consult the undergraduate or graduate catalog at the School Services tab while in the portal, or at to review requirements for their major.

  • Change of School forms are completed by the new school when a change of major makes it necessary.


  • Degrees are generally posted within 60 days of the close of the term of graduation.

  • Yes, if you designate this person during the transcript ordering process. They must possess a valid id to pick it up.

  • We do not have transcript fees built into our fee structure such as other schools do.

  • Yes, you can pre-order a transcript and have the option to select “Hold for grades” when processing your order. Please note that you will be charged for the transcript at time of transaction.

  • Yes, you can pre-order a transcript and have the option to select “Hold for degree” when processing your order. Please note that you will be charged for the transcript at time of transaction.