You are here
Professor A.C. Payne Memorial Scholarship
- Must have a declared major in the COB
- Must be an Indiana resident
- Financial need
Alvin C. Payne was a graduate of Indiana State Teachers College and after gaining his MA from Columbia University in 1917 returned to ISTC in 1921 as a principal of the college and professor of education. Later he became director of Student Work for the National Youth Administration (NYA) at the college. The NYA was an organization formed in 1935 to provide work and education for young Americans between the ages of 16 and 25. By the time the program ended in 1944 the NYA had employed 2,677,000 young men and women in its out-of-school work program and 2,134,000 in its student work program. In 1940,1 in 5 students at ISTC were at least partly sponsored by the NYA.
On Wednesday, December 13, 1950 he left work at the college as usual, but suffered a cerebral hemorrhage that evening and passed away the next day after 30 years of service to Indiana State Teachers College.
- Adam Gaunt, Jennifer Groth, Rachel Mullinnix 2012
- Tony McCarter, Alexis Geswein, Nicole, Alters, Lucy Miller, Cheryl Lanham, Kristi Lawson, 2011
- Emily Karaff, Tony McCarter, Sara Phillips, 2010
- Benjamin Baker, Amber Shatto, Sara Phillips, 2009
- Destiny Loyd, Sara Phillips, Laken Rukes, Victoria Trench , 2008
- Tiffany Alexander, Laura Flynn, Aaron Hines, Monica Miller, 2007
- James Belleau, Jonathan Clark, Cari Deacon, Erin Pell, 2006
- Crystal McQueen, Jennifer Moran, Trinna Solomon, Ashley Weyer, 2005
- Austin Burns, Arlen Eiteljorge, William Kautzman, Adrie Koehle, 2004
- Brogan Baxter, Austin Burns, 2003
- Rinda Hooten, Anna Kearby, 2002
Applications for the scholarships and other awards on these pages should be made through The Branch. Clicking the link will take you to The Branch instruction page.